[robotics-worldwide] KUKA Robotics endows chair at Georgia Tech

Tucker Balch tucker.balch at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Apr 4 06:26:30 PDT 2006

Dear all,

We are pleased to announce that Georgia Tech now has an
endowed chair in robotics, and that Prof Henrik Christensen
will join us and be appointed to that chair.  We are also
preparing to announce a new robotics research center in the
coming weeks.

Please find the formal announcement below.

best regards,

Tucker Balch
Georgia Tech

-----------

COLLEGE OF COMPUTING AT GEORGIA TECH AND KUKA ROBOTICS
COLLABORATE TO LEAD ROBOTICS EDUCATION AND INNOVATION

Global Leader KUKA Robotics Sponsors Appointment of International
Robotics Expert Dr. Henrik Christensen

ATLANTA April 4, 2006.  The College of Computing at Georgia Tech,
today announced that it has appointed international robotics
expert Dr. Henrik Christensen to the newly endowed KUKA Chair of
Robotics.

"The addition of a globally respected robotics expert such as
Henrik Christensen to our already distinguished faculty enables
the College of Computing to make a significant and immediate
impact on growth in the robotics arena," said Richard A. DeMillo,
the John P. Imlay Jr. Dean of the College of Computing at Georgia
Tech.

"KUKA is proud to support the College of Computing at Georgia Tech
in their continued pursuit of advanced robotic solutions," noted
Leroy Rodgers II, president of KUKA Robotics Corporation. "KUKA's
products are an excellent platform for innovation, and we expect
the College of Computing's faculty and students will lead the
industry for years to come."

Dr. Christensen brings to the College of Computing a distinguished
record in robotics research and innovation. As the founding chairman
of the European Robotics Research Network, Dr. Christensen will
work with existing faculty to further enrich the robotics curriculum
within the Interactive and Intelligent Computing (IIC) division at
the College of Computing. With a focus on personal and everyday
robotics, as well as the future of automation, the College of
Computing robotics program will offer both undergraduate and
doctoral programs tailored to best enable students to understand
and drive the future role of robotics in society and industry.

"I am very excited about joining the College of Computing at Georgia
Tech as its KUKA Chair of Robotics," said Dr. Christensen. "My
mission will be to strengthen the College of Computing's already
impressive robotics program and make it the leading robotics effort
in the world in terms of human-centered robotics and intelligent
machines."

For more information about the College of Computing at Georgia Tech,
its academic divisions and research centers, please visit
www.cc.gatech.edu.

For more information about KUKA Robotics please visit their website
at www.kukarobotics.com