[robotics-worldwide] Mechanical Engineering research position at
cjones at irobot.com
Mon Aug 20 05:41:00 PDT 2007
iRobot Corporation. Burlington, Massachusetts. http://www.irobot.com
Mechanical Engineering Principal Investigator - Research
iRobot is a visionary leader in the robotics market. The company's innovations span a wide spectrum of robotics technology - from robots searching buildings in Iraq to vacuuming living rooms in middle-America.
We are seeking an experienced Mechanical Engineer at the Principal Investigator level to join our Government & Industrial Division. The division is rapidly growing with many new projects, employees and tools. You will be a part of the Mechanical Engineering competency group and the Research Program Team in a matrix organization.
You will be responsible for providing engineering leadership to the Research Program Manager on proposals, proof of concept demonstrations and prototype design and testing. Work in a principal investigator role to secure funded research opportunities for new mobility concepts, payloads, manipulators and robots and then lead projects to successful conclusion.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
1. Participate in all phases of research projects, including concept generation, proposal initiation and writing, mechanical design and prototype test/demonstration.
2. Advance and initiate novel concepts for new robot mobility platforms and manipulation methods in response to end user application scenarios; both solicited and unsolicited.
3. Identify and investigate new opportunities and technologies for locomotion, manipulation, actuation and sensing of robotic mechanisms through close interaction with suppliers and OEM's.
4. Work directly with customers and sponsors to identify opportunities and develop proposals for new research projects.
5. Capable of generating funded research opportunities by driving key areas on our technology roadmap from concept to contract.
6. Ability to provide effective technical presentations to customers and large groups.
Education: MS in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited college or university required; PhD strongly preferred.
Experience: 10+ years experience in robotic mechanical design or 5 years plus significant academic research.
Skills/Technical Requirements: Solid knowledge of engineering materials, dynamics, complex mechanism design, and electromechanical systems. Previous experience with motion control systems, sensors, actuators and robotic mechanisms is required. Proficiency with SolidWorks and/or Pro/E. Knowledge of ASME Y14 drafting standards and machine shop/manufacturing processes. Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to work across functions and give direction to other engineers, technicians and designers.
If you are qualified and interested, please send your CV/resume to Chris Jones at cjones at irobot.com.
More information about the robotics-worldwide