[robotics-worldwide] CFP: ICRA2008 Workshop on Network Robot System: benchmarks and platforms toward Human-Robot

Takayuki Kanda kanda at atr.jp
Sat Dec 8 00:20:52 PST 2007

Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this message.

Call For Paper : ICRA2008 Workshop on Network Robot System: benchmarks and
platforms toward Human-Robot Interaction
http://www.irc.atr.jp/icra08_nrs_workshop/

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to invite your participation. The workshop is to be held in
conjunction with ICRA2008 (http://www.icra2008.org/) in Pasadena, California
on May 19, 2008. The submission deadline is January 15, 2008.

In the previous series of workshops on 'network robot systems', we have
invited
key persons in network robot systems research from various regions such as
America,
Europe and Asia to discuss the current status of this new research area and
its
future direction. This has enabled us to clarify the fundamental research
areas
pertaining to network robot systems. The first objective is the continuation
of
this effort of community building by bringing together key people from
research
areas related to network robot systems.

In addition to continuing our successful effort of community building, this
proposed workshop will place special emphasis on one fundamental aspect,
"Human-Robot Interaction," required for the ultimate goal of "Human-Centered
Robotics." In addition, as we expect to have a successful discussion in the
seventh workshop in IROS2007 for the establishment of common testbeds or
benchmarks, we plan to extend this discussion to bring together the
technological
aspects of 'network robot systems' (such as a common testbed) with the
human-centered aspects of Human-Robot Interaction.

In conjunction with these efforts, the research community should contribute
its significant knowledge base towards the goal of standardization, which
is always needed in industry. Reflecting the growth of this research
community,
this direction of research is now supported by many governments, including
Japan, Korea, and the EU. Several initial 'network robot systems' have
already built, such as those in Japan and Korea. This suggests that we
should
start a discussion on standardization, which would enable many developers to
create products related to 'network robot systems' and easily collaborate
with
each other. This workshop will be the ideal place for such a discussion. In
addition, as the research grows on network robot systems, interpretations of
the definition of "network(ed) robot" tend to diverge. Thus, we need to
coordinate the definition for the purpose of community building.

The workshop will consist of several invited talks, panel discussions
about a specific topic related to NRS (title of the panel will be decided
later),
and paper presentations. Interested authors are welcome to submit papers.
Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

- ubiquitous robotics and cooperative robotics
- networked environing sensing/actuation
- distributed environing system
- sensor network and sensing devices for network robot systems
- coordination and cooperation among multiple types of robots
- network robot platform
- security for network robot systems
- common testbed, common research platform, and performance metrics
- socially situated network robots
- applications of network robot systems
- autonomy design of network robot systems
- human robot symbiosis
- human's interaction with network robot system
- human-robot interaction in daily environments
- interaction between human and environing components

Papers should be prepared according to the ICRA2008 final camera ready
format,
and should be 4 to 8 pages long. The detailed information on the paper
format
is available from the ICRA 2008 page. Submissions should be sent to
kanda at atr.jp
in the Portable Document Format (PDF) no later than January 15.

For more information, please visit our website at
http://www.irc.atr.jp/icra08_nrs_workshop/
If you have questions or concerns, please email kanda at atr.jp

Sincerely,

The Workshop's Organizers:
Norihiro Hagita, ATR, Japan
Alberto Sanfeliu, Technical University of Catalonia, Spain
Tomomasa Sato, the University of Tokyo, Japan
Hiroshi Ishiguro, Osaka University, Japan

The Workshop's Secretariat:
Takayuki Kanda, ATR, Japan