[robotics-worldwide] HRI08 Workshop: Coding Behavioral Video Data and Reasoning Data in Human-Robot Interaction: EXTENSION OF DEADLINE

Takayuki Kanda kanda at atr.jp
Mon Dec 17 01:28:38 PST 2007

Dear colleagues,

A following workshop will be held at HRI'08 conference.
The submission deadline for Presenters is extended to January 7, 2007.
We are pleased to invite your participation!

Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this message.

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Workshop for HRI '08 (http://www.hri2008.org)
Coding Behavioral Video Data and Reasoning Data in Human-Robot Interaction

Purpose: The purpose of the workshop is to bring together HRI researchers
and designers from across the world who are actively engaged - or would like
to be - in coding behavioral and/or reasoning data in HRI.  We'll share
methods from our respective laboratories, and discuss problems encountered
and potential solutions.  By the end of the workshop:
* Participants will understand different approaches toward constructing
  coding systems.
* Participants will be positioned better to analyze their own HRI data.
* We will have begun to establish a community of researchers and designers
  who can share related ideas with one another in the years to come.
* We will move forward with publishing proceedings from the workshop.

Deadline for Submission (for Presenters): January 7, 2007

Organizers
Peter H. Kahn, Jr.
University of Washington, USA

Takayuki Kanda
Advanced Telecommunications Research (ATR), Japan

Nathan G. Freier
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA

Rachel L. Severson
University of Washington, USA

Hiroshi Ishiguro
Advanced Telecommunications Research (ATR) and Osaka University, Japan
Overview
As the field of human-robot interaction begins to mature, researchers and
designers are recognizing the need for systematic, comprehensive, and
theoretically-grounded methodologies for investigating people's social
interactions with robots.  One attractive approach entails the collection
of behavioral video data in naturalistic or experimental settings.  Another
attractive approach entails interviewing participants about their
conceptions
of human-robot interaction (e.g., during or immediately following an
interaction with a specific robot).  With behavioral video data and/or
reasoning data in hand, the question then emerges: How does one code and
analyze such data?

The workshop is divided into two main parts.

Morning.  Our collaborative laboratories (from the University of Washington
and ATR) will share in some depth the coding system we have developed for
coding 90 children's social and moral behavior with and reasoning about a
humanoid robot (ATR's Robovie).  This coding manual builds from other
systems
we have developed and disseminated elsewhere as technical reports (Friedman,
et al, 2005; Kahn et al., 2003, 2005, 2005).  Key issues presented in the
morning include:
*       What is a Coding Manual?
*       Getting Started - Iterating between Data and Theory
*       Building on Previous Systems, when Applicable
*       Hierarchical Organization of Categories
*       Time Segmentation of Behavior
*       Behavior in Response to Robot-Initiated and Experimenter-Initiated
        Stimulus
*       Coding Social and Moral Reasoning
*       How to Deal with Multiple Ways of Coding a Single Behavioral Event
        or Reason
*       Reliability Coding
We'll have plenty of time for discussion of issues as they emerge.

Afternoon:  Following a group lunch, we'll then have up to 5 participants
present for 20 minutes each (followed by 20 minutes of discussion after each
presentation).  Presenters will provide a brief overview of one of their HRI
research projects (hopefully with some video data or interview data in
hand),
and then explicate three problems they encountered in coding the data, and
then (if at all) how they sought to solve the problems.  The 20 minute
discussion periods will provide time for participants to discuss the nature
of the problems and other possible solution strategies.

Two Types of Participation
There will be two types of participation:

5 Presenters (in addition to the 5 organizers):  Presenters will be actively
involved in HRI research that involves behavioral and/or reasoning data.
As noted above, each presenter will have 20 minutes to present an overview
of one of their HRI research projects, and to present three problems
encountered and possible solutions.

Other Workshop Participants:  Participants will join in the workshop and
participate in discussions.  The prerequisite is simply an interest in the
topic.

Submission Guidelines
As noted above, there will be two types of participation: (1) workshop
presenters, and (2) workshop participants.  Submission guidelines differ
depending on your interests in participating:

(1) Workshop Presenter:  Send a one-page single-spaced summary of your HRI
research project, and three possible coding problems encountered and
possible
solutions.  Indicate whether you anticipate having some actual data to share
(video clips or interview transcripts) that illustrate your issues at hand.
Include an additional paragraph that summarizes your background in HRI.
These submissions will be peer-reviewed.  The deadline for submission is
January 7, 2007.

(2) Workshop Participant:  Send a one-paragraph summary of your background
in
HRI and interest in the workshop.  Participants will be accepted on a
first-come-first-admitted basis.

The workshop will take place March 12, 2008, at the HRI '08 conference site,
the beautiful Felix Meritis cultural center in central Amsterdam.

Workshop Proceedings
We plan to publish proceedings of the workshop in the form of a technical
report.  At this junction, the technical report will include the full coding
system for the UW-ATR study on Children's Social and Moral Relationships
with
a Humanoid Robot.  We would also like to include full coding systems from
the
other 5 presenters in the workshop.  Together, then, we would have created a
vibrant initial repository of coding systems for other researchers to draw
upon.  However, if not all of the presenters have full systems, then we will
include a written version of their summary of their project and their 3
problems and solutions presented during the workshop.