[robotics-worldwide] call for registration : ICRA 2007 workshop on the ICRA 2008 Robot Competition

Paul E. Rybski prybski at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 22 14:31:47 PDT 2007

Colleagues,

A new robotics competition will be held at ICRA 2008 in Pasadena, CA
(USA).  The overall theme of the competition will be "space robotics",
and it will consist of two main events that cover the following areas:

- Autonomous navigation, exploration, and sample recovery
- Assisting an astronaut with scientific and maintenance tasks

We are in the process of working out the exact details of the events,
and are interested in feedback from the community.  Our goals are to
make the events as comprehensive as possible so that they serve as
long-term challenges that will take several years to reach completely.
As such, each event will be broken into logical sub-events where teams
can enter the same or different robots in any of the events as they are
able.

To promote interest and further interest in this competition, we are
running a workshop at ICRA 2007 in Rome, to discuss the current draft of
the events, and to hear what you have to say.  We are very interested in
making the competition as inclusive as possible, with something for all
of the many fields represented at ICRA, and need your help. The
announcement for the workshop is available at:

  http://icra.wustl.edu/

If you, or your students, are planning on attending ICRA and might be
interested in entering the 2008 competition or in helping to shape its
direction, please consider registering for the workshop to hear the
presentations and participate in the discussion.

Bill Smart and Paul Rybski
ICRA 2008 Robot Competition Organizers