[robotics-worldwide] PhD position at Zurich University

Alejandro Hernandez Arieta alexarieta at gmail.com
Thu May 10 16:01:21 PDT 2007

One fully funded PhD student position will be available immediately or
upon agreement at the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, University of Zurich,
Switzerland
 (Lab Director: Prof. Dr. Rolf Pfeifer, Project leader: Alejandro Hernandez).

This is a position in a project called "Dynamical Coupling in Motor-Sensory

Function Substitution" funded by the Swiss National Science
Foundation. The project's
main goal is to study the development of a prosthetic hand for
motor-sensory function
substitution which is dynamically coupled to an amputee's sensor and
motor control system.

The hand will be based on EMG signals and various types of sensory
feedback. By carefully
investigating human upper limb dynamics and by taking into account
morphological and
material properties of assistive devices we hope to develop a scheme
by which patients

quickly learn to control the hand with less and less cognitive
awareness by the user.
We believe that, as a consequence, patients will also integrate the
hand into their body
schema and accept it as part of their own.

The candidates are expected to work on topics such as cognitive
development, artificial

neural networks, machine learning, sensorimotor coordination, etc.
They are expected to
have a strong motivation in designing/building physical mechanical and
electronic systems,
and programming skills for control, simulation and data analysis.
Experience in acquisition

of biological signals (EMG) is desired (but not necessary). The
applicants are expected to
participate and coordinate experiments involving disabled people for
system evaluation

(with support from a therapist).

Applicants should preferably have an MSc in one of the following disciplines:

* Mechanical Engineering

* Electronic Engineering

* Computer Science Engineering

* Bioengineering

* Robotics

Proficiency in writing/spoken English is mandatory. PhD students will
be requested to do

some class assistance and communicate with leading scientists world
wide as part of the job.

To apply for the position, please send a letter of motivation along
with a CV, certificates,

and two academic references to Rolf Pfeifer (pfeifer at ifi.unizh.ch)
with cc to Claudia Wirth
(wirth at ifi.unizh.ch). For further information, please contact Alejandro
 Hernandez
(alex at ailab.ch).

Deadline for applications: 31/05/2007

(We will close this call as soon as we fix the position.)

For more information please refer to

University of Zurich: www.unizh.ch

Artificial Intelligence Laboratory:
www.ifi.unizh.ch/ailab/

--
Alejandro Hernandez Arieta

Developmental Cognitive Machines Laboratory
Precision Engineering Dept.
The University of Tokyo
113-8656
Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-Ku, Tokyo, Japan