[robotics-worldwide] Postdoctoral position in virtual surgery (RPI)
des at rpi.edu
Wed Nov 28 18:01:22 PST 2007
Position: Postdoctoral position in virtual surgery (RPI)
Project: Physically realistic virtual surgery
Brief description: The Advanced Computational Research Laboratory,
affiliated with the Department of Mechanical, Aerospace and Nuclear
Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, USA invites
applications for a postdoctoral position to work on a project funded by
the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering of the
NIH on developing real time surgical simulation technology. The ideal
candidate will develop the next generation surgical simulator based on
advanced physics-based computational methods in collaboration with
surgeons from Harvard Medical School.
Desirable background for this position includes:
• Degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
• Strong background in Computer Graphics. Specific knowledge in real
time rendering is a plus.
• Background in collision detection and response algorithms
• Excellent programming skills especially in C++
• Experience in developing virtual environments involving haptics.
• Background in high performance scientific computations
• Sound background in mechanics and finite elements
Interested candidates may apply to Professor Suvranu De (des at rpi.edu)
with a cover letter, detailed CV, a copy of the publication deemed as
best representative of the candidate’s creative research, and names and
email addresses of three referees. Applications from minority and women
are especially encouraged. RPI is an Equal opportunity/ Affirmative
Suvranu De, Sc.D.
Department of Mechanical, Aerospace
and Nuclear Engineering
Jonsson Engineering Center 2046
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
110 8th Street
Troy, NY 12180-3590
phone (518) 276-6096
fax (518) 276-6025
E-mail des at rpi.edu
Web page: http://www.acor.rpi.edu
More information about the robotics-worldwide