[robotics-worldwide] Postdoc position in the Robotics Lab, University of Auckland, New Zealand

Bruce MacDonald b.macdonald at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Apr 7 21:22:18 PDT 2008

Postdoctoral Fellowship in Robotics software, tools, systems and evaluation

Robotics Laboratory, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
The University of Auckland, New Zealand

The Robotics Laboratory's long term goal is to produce intelligent robotic
assistants for humans. Currently our work focuses in three areas. Human robot
interaction is a key area for robot assistants. Robot programming systems are
also important because humans often need to resort to programming robots for new
tasks. Thirdly we focus on two application areas, agriculture and healthcare,
where we can explore our ideas in human robot interaction and robot programming
systems. More details are available at: robotics.ece.auckland.ac.nz

The University is looking for an early career researcher to advance our software
systems in order to promote robotic applications in agriculture and aged care,
to improve our software tools, and to integrate smaller projects.

The ideal candidate will have a PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Systems,
Computer Science, or a related Discipline, with advanced skills in:

 - Programming (eg C/C++, Linux, Robotics, PlayerStage, Speech processing,
   Artificial Neural Nets)
 - Human-robot interaction, cognitive science, emotion

General skills will include the abilities to:

 - Design and implement software systems
 - Work independently on research
 - Write high quality publications
 - Work effectively together with others in a multidisciplinary research team
 - Lead postgraduate researchers
 - Write documentation
 - Work flexibly across areas including robotics, speech, artificial
   intelligence, artificial neural nets
 - Carry out user studies

The successful candidate will become actively involved in designing, developing
and integrating robotics research software across Robotics Laboratory projects,
speech and artificial neural networks.

Personal qualities will include enthusiasm, willingness and ability to assist in
developing core research, applications and contract research in the Laboratory.

It is expected that no more than 5 years should have elapsed, since the
applicant has completed their PhD.

For more information, contact Dr Bruce MacDonald, (+64 9) 373 7599 ext. 88157,
or b.macdonald at auckland.ac.nz.

Applications should be made at:
http://www.opportunities.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/about/uoa/employment/vacancies-academic.cfm#AVAC6

Further details are posted on