[robotics-worldwide] CFP JoPhA: Special Issue on Interactive and Adaptive Furniture and Domestic Interiors

Vicente Matellán-Olivera vicente.matellan at unileon.es
Fri Apr 11 13:02:40 PDT 2008

Our apologies for multiple copies.

CFP: Imagining Domestic Interiors
Special Issue on Interactive and Adaptive Furniture and Domestic Interiors
Journal of Physical Agents (http://jopha.net)

Submission deadline: 31 July 2008

Robots are set to play an increasing role in our everyday lives,
particularly in our domestic interiors. Already, they have found their
way into vacuum cleaners, sweepers, mops, and other automated service
machines for the home. Looking beyond these largely predictable
developments, advances in self-configurable and adaptive robots
promise some radically new possibilities. Our furniture, for example,
may be host to interconnected assemblies of robotic modules that can
re-configure themselves to suit different purposes, events, or even
moods. Building such possibilities into our surroundings might also
enable us to construct adaptive home interiors that physically age
with their occupants, conforming to the changing needs and operating
to support people's states of development and health.

Naturally, such visions must be tempered with thought and reflection.
It is not entirely clear why domestic furniture and our physical homes
might really need to be augmented using robotics. Moreover, how does
one go about building a self-configurable chair—let alone
environment—that behaves as expected and that does not simply become a
burden to use and own? Deeper questions are raised too around the
evolving nature of our interactions with things. Giving a degree of
mechanical autonomy to our material surroundings is likely to
transform how it is we actively engage with and make sense of the
world, and in doing so feed ongoing debates surrounding material
agency.

Given this backdrop, we invite submissions to a Special Issue of the
Journal of Physical Agents (JoPHA < http://www.jopha.net>).
Specifically, we invite submissions that introduce research being
undertaken into self-configurable and adaptive furniture and domestic
interiors/spaces. We hope for these submissions to reflect on what
such furniture and interiors might look like, how they might work, and
what they would be like to live with. We also hope to attract
submissions that explore the questions and implications raised by such
work.

By maintaining a breadth to this call, our aim is to bring authors
together from a range of disciplines including, but not limited to:
art, design, architecture, social science, computer science, robotics,
artificial intelligence, smart textiles, furniture design, etc.

Please submit papers of between 10-15 pages to Alex Taylor
ast at microsoft.com following the JoPHA author guidelines
<http://www.jopha.net/index.php/jopha/about/submissions#authorGuidelines>

Important dates:
31 July 2008: Submission deadline
1 October 2008: Notification of acceptance
1 December 2008: Deadline for camera-ready articles

Guest Editors:
Auke Ijspeert
School of Computer and Communication Sciences,
EPFL, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
Switzerland

Peter Gall Krogh
Architect, Head of Innovation
Alexandra Institute A/S
Denmark

Marianne Graves Petersen
Associate Professor
Computer Science Department, University of Aarhus
Denmark

Alex S. Taylor
Microsoft Research Cambridge
UK

--
Vicente Matellán Olivera        | Titular  de Universidad
Tel: +34 987 291 743            | Arquitectura y Tecnología de Computadores