[robotics-worldwide] Call for Participation: Robotics: Science and Systems 2008

Andrew Davison ajd at doc.ic.ac.uk
Sat Apr 26 10:25:06 PDT 2008

Call for Participation

Robotics: Science and Systems 2008
ETH Zurich, Switzerland, June 25th-28th 2008
http://www.roboticsconference.org/

We would like to invite the international robotics community to attend
Robotics: Science and Systems 2008, to be held this year for the first
time in Europe at ETH, Zurich from June 25th-28th. RSS is a highly
selective, single track conference with the aim of bringing together
the best work from across the wide field of robotics in a high quality
technical program. We are happy to announce that the review process
for the main conference has now been completed and the tentative list
of accepted papers is now available online.

Important information:

1. Deadline for guaranteed hotel booking: ***Monday 28th April***
    After this date the hotels block-booked for RSS will be released to
    the general public and there will be particular pressure on hotels
    due to the 2008 FIFA European Championship football.
    http://www.roboticsconference.org/accommodations.shtml

2. Online registration now open (early registration deadline May 25th)
    http://www.roboticsconference.org/registration.shtml

3. Tentative technical program now available online:
    http://www.roboticsconference.org/program.shtml

4. The main conference (June 25th-27th) will be followed by workshops
    on June 28th. See information on our 11 confirmed workshops at:
    http://www.roboticsconference.org/workshops.shtml

5. We are excited to offer the chance of financial support to allow
    students to attend the conference (even those not presenting papers),
    generously offered by NSF and NRL.
    http://www.roboticsconference.org/students.shtml

6. We are proud to announce the following invited speakers at RSS 2008:

    Luis von Ahn, Carnegie Mellon University
    "Human Computation"

    Howard Berg, Harvard University
    "Motile Behavior of E. Coli, a Remarkable Robot"

    Jean-Louis Deneubourg, Université Libre de Bruxelles
    "Shared Decision Making in Mixed Societies of Animals and Robots"

    Armin Gruen, ETH Zurich
    "Positioning, Modeling and Navigation with Photogrammetric
    Techniques"

    Kevin O'Regan, CNRS/Paris
    "How to Build Consciousness into a Robot: the Sensorimotor Approach"

    Miguel Nicolelis, Duke University
    "Computing with Neural Ensembles"

    Toshi Yanagida, Osaka University
    "Mechanism Involved in Utilizing Thermal Fluctuations by Muscle
    Molecular Motor"

We very much look forward to joining you for an excellent program in
Zurich.

Oliver Brock    University of Massachusetts Amherst  General Chair
Jeff Trinkle    Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute     Program Chair
Andrew Davison  Imperial College London              Publicity Chair