[robotics-worldwide] RSS deadline for workshop proposals extended to January 7

Devin Balkcom devin at cs.dartmouth.edu
Mon Dec 15 14:29:48 PST 2008

The deadline for expressing interest to organize a workshop at RSS
2009 has been moved from December 15th to January 7 due to a number of
requests.  We request that workshop and tutorial organizers email a
brief, single-paragraph description of the proposed topic and a list
of organizers by January 7, 2008 to rss09workshops at cs.rice.edu.

------

Call for Workshop and Tutorial Proposals
Robotics: Science and Systems
Sunday, June 28 - Wednesday, July 1, 2009
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
http://www.roboticsconference.org

Important Dates:

January 7, 2008                submission deadline for the proposed
topic
January 31, 2009                 submission deadline for the full
proposal
March 15, 2009                   acceptance decisions made
June 28 and June 29, 2009        workshops and tutorials take place

The Organizing Committee for the 2009 Robotics: Science and Systems
Conference (RSS 2009) requests proposals for full and half-day
workshops and tutorials to be held on Sunday, June 28, 2009 and Monday
morning June 29, 2009 at the University of Washington, Seattle, WA,
USA. This day and a half of workshops and tutorials will precede the
main conference, which takes place from the afternoon of Monday June
29, 2009 to Wednesday July 1, 2009. RSS brings together researchers
working on algorithmic or mathematical foundations of robotics,
robotic applications, and the analysis of robotic systems. The
workshops and tutorials have consistently provided high-quality,
topically-focused forums for researchers at the forefront of robotics.

Submissions:

We request that workshop and tutorial organizers initially email a
brief, single-paragraph description of the proposed topic and a list
of organizers by January 7, 2008 to rss09workshops at cs.rice.edu. A
template for the final proposal will be mailed to all interested
parties.

The simple template will inform the organizers of the expected
constraints of full-day and half-day workshops and tutorials
(including starting and ending times, coffee-breaks, capacity of
available rooms) and will request information for the full proposal to
be considered. As it will be indicated in the template, the full
proposal submission should include a title, an abstract appropriate
for promotion of the event on the RSS website, a description of the
proposed content, a tentative schedule, a plan for soliciting
participation, and expected requirements for space and equipment,
among others. We expect full proposals to be approximately 3 pages in
length.

Full proposals for review will be due by January 31, 2009.  Full
proposals will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage early
submissions.  All decisions will be made by March 15, 2009. We
recommend that workshops and tutorials be designed to promote
discussion among the participants. Priority will be given to proposals
that effectively address this issue.

Previous Workshops and Tutorials:

Examples of previous workshops and tutorials with websites and on-line
schedules can be found through the following links:

http://robotics.ethz.ch/rss/workshopcall.shtml
http://rss2007.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/workshoplist.shtml
http://robotics.cs.brown.edu/rss06/workshop_descriptions.shtml
http://robotics.cs.umass.edu/rss05/workshop_descriptions.html

Contact:

Submissions          rss09workshops at cs.rice.edu
Inquiries            rss09workshops at cs.rice.edu
Workshop Chair       Lydia E. Kavraki, Rice University
(kavraki at rice.edu)