[robotics-worldwide] [CFP] ICRA 2008 workshop "Social Interaction with Intelligent Indoor Robots (SI3R)"

Geert-Jan Kruijff gj at dfki.de
Tue Jan 8 06:13:19 PST 2008

our apologies for multiple copies.

                                SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS

                                       ICRA 2008 Workshop

                 "Social Interaction with Intelligent Indoor Robots
(SI3R)"

                   [ http://www.dfki.de/cosy/www/events/si3r-icra08/ ]

         (held in conjunction with ICRA 2008, Pasadena CA, May 20 2008)

ABOUT THIS WORKSHOP

Robots are moving from the factories into our homes. Today, we have
the Roomba. Tomorrow, in 2010, industry aims to give us the first
commercial humanoids. Bringing robots as assistants into homes,
offices, and shopping malls presents serious challenges to human-
robot interaction. Robots will need to assist untrained users. Robots
will need to interact with people in environments that are designed
for, and populated by, humans. This workshop, organized in
conjunction with ICRA 2008, focuses on how robotic systems can be
designed such as to meet these challenges. Make robots adapt to the
environment. Make robots socially acceptable. Make robots fit into
the environment, without the environment needing to be made to fit them.

The question what we could do to achieve "human-centered robotics"
is, although interesting for us as engineers, not the ultimate
question we should ask. Robots are moving into human everyday life.
This implies an inherent social dimension to this technology. The
question is thus foremost, what we should - and should not - do. The
objective of this workshop is to define interactive, intelligent
indoor robots as a social technology. We want to consider what the
technology we need to develop should look like. So that these robots
seamlessly fit into an environment that was not made nor intended for
them.

Considering indoor robots as social agents, we want to look at the
social dimensions of interaction with intelligent indoor robots, and
its implications for how (and what) such robots should understand
about their environments. We want to focus on three related, core
issues:

1) Unnatural naturalness: A robot is a robot, and not a human. As
with the issue of anthropomorphism, we can ask to what extent
interaction with a robot should be human-like. How natural is
"natural" interaction supposed to be?

2) The dimensionality of HRI's social dimension:  Human-robot
interaction as interaction is a social affair - but what dimensions
are there to this social dimension of human-robot interaction? What
kinds of social interaction do we imagine indoor robot assistants to
perform? How should it behave, appropriately, in such situations –
and what types of intelligent capabilities will a robot need to have
to do so?

3) Robustly failing: If there is one surety about robots, it is that
sooner or later they fail. Fail to understand, fail to behave. What
are principled ways to make interaction robust? And, even more
important, how can we make interaction degrade gracefully?

We aim to bring together an audience which would represent multiple
relevant disciplines - robotics, artificial intelligence, natural
language processing. This would include people building personal
robot assistants, either in industry or at academic institutes;
people developing approaches to human-robot interaction; and people
studying the impact such personal robot assistants have, or may have,
on social environments.

SUBMISSIONS

The workshop invites submissions describing original work, either
completed or still in progress, related to social interaction with
intelligent indoor robots.

The format for each submission follows the general ICRA format: 6 to
8 pages, including figures and bibliography, using the ICRA LaTeX
style-files. Submissions should be sent as PDF file to <si3r-
wsh at dfki.de>.

Possible topics include, but are not restricted to, the following:

* user studies in social interaction
* (semantic) environment models for human-robot interaction
* (semantic) models of social interaction
* integrated systems for intelligent, interactive indoor robots
* multi-modal dialog modeling
* models of error recovery
* feedback design
* human-centered representation (of the environment)
* situation awareness
* social action recognition and understanding / reasoning

Every submission should address one or more of the above-mentioned
core issues: to what extent should interaction be human-like? what
are social aspects of the interaction? how robust is the interaction,
and how does it gracefully degrade?

The submission deadline is JANUARY 15, 2008.

Papers will be published in a proceedings volume made available at
the time of the workshop. A selection of papers accepted for
publication at the workshop may get invited for a volume to be
submitted for publication to Springer.

FOR MORE DETAILS

For more details, see the workshop website [ http://www.dfki.de/cosy/
www/events/si3r-icra08/ ]  or contact Geert-Jan Kruijff <gj at dfki.de>.

ORGANIZATION COMMITTEE

Geert-Jan M. Kruijff and Hendrik Zender
German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI GmbH)
Language Technology Lab
Saarbruecken, Germany

Marc Hanheide and Britta Wrede
Bielefeld University
Faculty of Technology, Applied Computer Science
Bielefeld, Germany

--
Dr.ir. Geert-Jan M. Kruijff
Senior researcher/Project leader

Language Technology Lab,
DFKI GmbH,
Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3,
D-66123 Saarbruecken, Germany

Email:     gj at dfki.de
Phone:   +49.681.302.5153
Fax:         +49.681.302.5338
Mobile:    +49.179.479.5892

http://www.dfki.de/~gj/
http://www.dfki.de/cosy/
Firmensitz: Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Dr. Walter Olthoff

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes