[robotics-worldwide] Postdoc position open at Harvard

Robert Wood rjwood at eecs.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 14 07:58:28 PST 2008

Postdoc position open in the Harvard Microrobotics Lab pertaining to active
soft materials and chemical robotics. There is a new interest in compliant
robots that move in novel ways and are capable of drastic changes in body
morphology. For example, imagine a robot that can locomote on a flat
surface, then reduce its diameter by a factor of ten to enter and maneuver
in a narrow passage or hole. We intend to explore new materials ('active
soft materials') that are either discretely or continuously compliant and
are actuated by novel electromechanical and chemical means. We will also
integrate the most promising materials into a new class of mobile robots:
'chemical robots'.

Applicants should have a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, chemical
engineering, chemistry, or a related field. The position is open immediately
(1/1/08) and is guaranteed for a year with a possible second year extension.
Interested applicants should send a CV and list of references to Prof. Wood
(rjwood at seas.harvard.edu).

For more information see:

http://micro.seas.harvard.edu/opportunities.html

Harvard is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.

Robert Wood
Assistant Professor
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Harvard University
(617) 496-1341

The Harvard Microrobotics Lab
http://micro.seas.harvard.edu