[robotics-worldwide] Position available at ATR Intelligent Robotics and Communications Labs.

Takayuki Kanda kanda at atr.jp
Sat Mar 1 09:34:59 PST 2008

Dear Colleagues

The ATR Intelligent Robotics and Communications Laboratory is seeking
applications from outstanding young (post-doctoral) researchers with
special interest in the areas of Real-World Social HRI and related topics,
including the following:
- Socially intelligent robots
- Assistive (health & personal care) robotics
- Long-term interaction with robots
- User studies in laboratory experiments and field trials
- Telepresence with humanoid robots
- Android science
- Human-Robot Cooperation and Collaboration

We prefer a person who has a strong background in fields such as these:
- Cognitive science
- Psychology
- Human computer interaction (HCI)
- Interface design

The candidate must have some degree of proficiency in programming and/or
robotics, with the ability to develop software for robotics applications
independently with minimal support from others, although we expect and
encourage teamwork and collaboration at the research level.

Our laboratory conducts a variety of social robotics research projects, and
within these projects, the candidate will have some flexibility in terms of
research focus. One specific project we are considering involves
elderly-care robotics, and a candidate with substantial experience in this
domain would be particularly desirable.

The initial term for employment is one year, and extensions will be
considered based on the evaluation during the first year.

We'd like to talk informally with the applicant during the HRI'08 conference
in order to determine compatibility of interests.
Please feel free to ask me (kanda at atr.jp) about details, and feel free to
talk with Prof. Ishiguro and me during the HRI'08 conference.

Dr. Takayuki Kanda
Senior research scientist
ATR Intelligent Robotics & Communication Labs.
URL http://www.irc.atr.jp/~kanda/
E-mail: kanda at atr.jp
Tel: +81 774 95 1424  Fax: +81 774 95 1408