[robotics-worldwide] Sick LIDAR Matlab/C++ Toolbox release

John Spletzer spletzer at cse.lehigh.edu
Thu Mar 20 07:03:04 PDT 2008

The Ben Franklin Racing Team – a collaboration between the University
of Pennsylvania, Lehigh University, and Lockheed Martin ATL - is
pleased to announce the release of our Sick LIDAR Matlab/C++ Toolbox
v1.0.

The Toolbox is an open-source project released under a BSD Open-Source
License that provides stable and easy-to-use C++ drivers for the Sick
LMS 2xx and Sick LD families of laser range finders. In addition to
low-level drivers, the package also features an easy to use Mex
interface, which allows the end-user to stream real-time range and
reflectivity data directly into Matlab. This feature is especially
attractive as it facilitates the rapid development of algorithms by
exploiting the high-level functionality afforded by Matlab's
vector-based operations. The toolbox is branched from our source code
used during the DARPA Urban Challenge.  Our entry – "Little Ben" -
employed five Sick LMS291 and LD-LRS LIDARs during the race, and was
one of only six vehicles to successfully complete the 55 mile Urban
Challenge Final Event.

Numerous examples, sample code, tutorials, and a quick start manual
are also provided for rapid development.  For further information or
to download the toolbox, please visit the project site at

http://sicktoolbox.sourceforge.net/

The Sick LIDAR Matlab/C++ Toolbox was developed and is currently
maintained by Jason Derenick and Thomas Miller at Lehigh University.

John Spletzer

--
John R. Spletzer, PhD
(610) 758 5783