[robotics-worldwide] [euCognition Members] SAB '08: Emotions, Cognitive Robotics Workshop - Call for Papers

Robert Lowe Robert.Lowe at his.se
Fri Mar 28 03:37:07 PDT 2008

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CALL FOR PAPERS

Tenth International Conference on the SIMULATION OF ADAPTIVE BEHAVIOR
(SAB ‘08)

Workshop on “The role of emotion in adaptive behaviour and cognitive
robotics”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAB ’08 workshop, Osaka, Japan, 11-12 July 2008
www.his.se/icea/emotion-workshop/ <http://www.his.se/icea/emotion-workshop/>

Submission deadline May 1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scope of the workshop

Affect and emotion have recently become a hot topic in the study of
adaptive behaviour and embodied cognition in both natural and artificial
systems. However, the regulatory role of affect/emotion, the underlying
mechanisms, and the interaction between affective/emotional and
cognitive processes are still not well understood. In order to develop a
better understanding of the role of affect/emotion in adaptive behaviour
and cognitive robotics, this workshop will bring together research on
the following themes:

1. Affective Mechanisms – This includes a range of mechanisms and
concepts such as drives, motivation, reward,
metabolic/homeostatic/allostatic regulation, appraisal, etc. We are
particularly interested in computational/robotic models of such
mechanisms, but also in neuroscience research and theoretical work that
can inform such models. We are also interested in neurobiologically
inspired models of emotion elicitation and regulation that model
relevant embodied neuroanatomical structures, e.g. amygdala,
hippocampus, prefrontal cortex.

2. Emotional Agents – The integration of affective mechanisms in
situated and embodied agents (e.g. robots) provides a crucial testing
ground not only for producing emotional artefacts but also for comparing
and contrasting the hypotheses and results of various emotion theories.
We are interested in understanding better the relationship between
emotion constituents/affective mechanisms and emotional-cognitive
behaviour, how these may be measured/analyzed and formalized.

3. Social Interaction and Human-Robot Interaction – The display of
affective and emotional states is crucial to social interactions between
people and can similarly benefit robot-robot and human-robot
interactions. We are interested in models displaying inter-robot or
human-robot interactions being co-ordinated or modulated by emotional
expression or displays. How (proto-) affective phenomena and its
expression can serve to coordinate social behaviour in more minimalist
agents is also of interest.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proceedings

A collection of all accepted papers will be made available at the
workshop. After the workshop we plan to edit a special issue with
selected extended papers, to appear in 2009 (probably "Connection
Science" journal).

Author Instructions

Submissions of 4-10 pages (following the same formatting instructions as
for SAB ’08: http://www.sab08.org/ready.html) should be sent by email to
emotion-workshop at lists.his.se <mailto:emotion-workshop at lists.his.se> by
May 1, 2008. Papers will each be reviewed by two members of the
programming committee.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important Dates

- May 1 – Submission of papers (4 - 10 pages)

- May 22 – Notification of acceptance

- June 12 – Camera ready versions due

- July 11-12 – Workshop

Organizers

Dr. Robert Lowe, Dr. Anthony Morse & Professor Tom Ziemke

School of Humanities & Informatics

University of Skövde, Sweden

Email: emotion-workshop at lists.his.se <mailto:emotion-workshop at lists.his.se>