[robotics-worldwide] VVV08: RobotCub Summer School Call for Participation

Paul Fitzpatrick paulfitz at liralab.it
Tue May 13 13:19:35 PDT 2008

[apologies if you receive multiple copies of this post]

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

VVV 2008, the Third RobotCub Summer School
http://www.robotcub.org/summerschool

Aim:
The RobotCub Summer School, "Veni Vidi Vici", serves to
consolidate and disseminate skills in software engineering
for humanoid robots. Our goal is to foster long-lived
academic collaboration on robot software across the
boundaries and lifetimes of individual projects. The school
is hosted by the RobotCub consortium, a collection of
institutions working towards an open platform for humanoid
research. The RobotCub summer school is a peer-to-peer
event; there are no lectures, and no strict division of
instructors and students. All participants are expected to
be competent C/C++ programmers with an interest in working
with others (and an agenda of their own). The school
schedule will be organized flexibly around informal
tutorials from participants on modules they are working on
or interested in.

To participate:
Those who would like to participate should email their name,
affiliation, and CV to summerschool at robotcub.org no later
than June 2nd, 2008. Places are limited. We will get back
to you by June 9th and you are then expected to formally
register and pay by June 16th. The school website is
available at:
  http://www.robotcub.org/summerschool

Format:
The school is structured as a series of hands-on practical
laboratory sessions, and informal talks. There will be real
robots to work with (including at least one full
humanoid). We will have a dedicated local network, with
wireless. Participants are expected to bring their own
laptop.

Topics:
Motor control, robot design, image processing,
communication, software engineering, machine learning.

Location:
This year the school will be hosted at the Mediaterraneo
Foundation in Sestri Levante, Liguria, Italy.  See the
school website for venue details.

Timetable:
We begin the school in the morning of Monday, July 21 2008,
and finish in the evening of Wednesday, July 30 2008 (with
people leaving during Thursday, July 31 2008). Sunday the
27th will be free.

Cost:
The summer school registration fee is 1250 euro. This fee
includes the school itself, food, and accommodation. Rooms
are shared between two people. A single room is 100 euro
extra (and subject to availability).

About RobotCub:
RobotCub is a project to study cognition through
robotics. Along the way, we are creating a completely open
design for a humanoid robot - open hardware, open software,
open mind. Our hardware designs and software are free and
open source. The RobotCub consortium is composed of 16
partners, 11 from Europe, 3 from Japan and 2 from the
USA. The coordinator is the LIRA-Lab at the University of
Genoa, Italy.