[robotics-worldwide] CFP: JFR Special Issue on Space Robotics

David Wettergreen dsw at ri.cmu.edu
Mon May 19 05:05:29 PDT 2008

Journal of Field Robotics - Special Issue on Space Robotics

Space applications present many challenges to robotic systems: from
extremes of temperature, vacuum, shock and gravity, to limitations on
power and communication, from the intricate complexity of systems
engineering, to requirements for reliability, robustness and autonomy.

The Journal of Field Robotics (JFR) announces a special issue on space
robotics to examine these and other issues related to robots and
space.  This special issue will present and discuss the state of the
art in space robots, their theory and practice.

We invite papers that exhibit theory and methods applied to robotic
systems in space including:
-       specification and evaluation of system concepts and designs;
-       effects of the space environment on robotic devices;
-       methods of sensing, actuation, and mobility;
-       experiments in manipulation, assembly, construction and
excavation;
-       algorithms for localization and navigation, and task or
mission planning;
-       experiments in planetary exploration and scientific
investigation;
-       efforts related to deep space navigation and autonomous
operation;
-       techniques for safe and precise entry, descent, and landing; and
-       analysis of human robot interaction and robot autonomy.

Papers for this special issue must also provide technical descriptions
of systems and results and analysis of experimentation.  We invite
technical descriptions and analysis of orbital robots/spacecraft and
planetary rovers as well as prototype systems in hat have been field
tested in terrestrial analogue environments.  Lessons learned in
development and operation are also pertinent.

We encourage papers addressing all aspects of space robotic systems.
Our emphasis is on systems that fulfill a specific space-relevant
application.  Robotic systems in Earth orbit, traveling in deep space,
and operating on the surfaces of planets, moons, comets, or asteroids
are of particular interest, as well systems envisioned for space
application but developed and demonstrated in relevant environments
here on Earth.

The JFR encourages multimedia content and this special issue seeks
inclusion of movies illustrating system concept and operation,
engineering experiments, and of course space operation.

Deadlines:
June 2, 2008 – Submit manuscripts
July 14, 2008 – Reviews completed
July 28, 2008 – Decisions and author notification
September 1, 2008 – Final manuscripts for publication
January 2009 - Publication of journal special issue

Submission:
     Electronically to http://www.journalfieldrobotics.org

Special Issue Guest Editors:
     David Wettergreen, Carnegie Mellon
     Terry Fong, NASA Ames Research Center
     Keiji Nagatani, Tohoku University

Authors with questions can contact the special issue editors, David
Wettergreen <dsw at ri.cmu.edu>, Terry Fong <terry.fong at nasa.gov> and
Keiji Nagatani <keiji at ieee.org>.  Submissions can be made through to
the journal website.