[robotics-worldwide] Announcement Public Release of RVO Library for Real-Time Multi-Agent Simulation

Jur van den Berg berg at cs.unc.edu
Tue May 27 13:16:46 PDT 2008

Dear Roboticists,

We have just released the publicly available C++ RVO Library for
Real-Time Multi-Agent Simulation. It is available for download at
http://gamma.cs.unc.edu/RVO/Library/ . Please see below for a short
description.

Best regards,

Jur van den Berg

INTRODUCTION
Simulations of multiple agents sharing a common workspace have gained
increasing attention recently, for various purposes such as crowd
simulation, navigating a team of mobile robots, computer games, studying
natural flocking behavior, traffic engineering, architecture and design,
emergency training simulations, etc.

We have presented a novel approach for interactive navigation and
planning of large amounts of agents in two-dimensional (crowded)
environments. Our formulation uses a precomputed roadmap that provides
macroscopic knowledge for wayfinding and combines it with fast and
localized navigation for each agent. At runtime, each agent senses the
environment independently and computes a collision-free motion based on
the “Reciprocal Velocity Obstacle” concept. Our algorithm ensures that
each agent exhibits no oscillatory behaviors.

RVO Library is a publicly available C++ implementation of our algorithm.
It has a very simple API for third-party applications. The user has to
specify obstacles, a roadmap around the obstacles, and the agents and
their goals, and the simulation can be performed step-by-step by a
simple call to the library. The simulation is fully accessible and
manipulable during the simulation. The library automatically exploits
multiple processors if they are available for efficient parallellization
of the simulation. Please refer to the documentation for details
regarding the API and the contents of the distribution.

REQUIREMENTS AND DEPENDENCIES
None. The RVO library is a stand-alone library that does not depend on
third-party packages. It should work with any C++ compiler on any
platform. It uses OpenMP to exploit multiple processors if they are
available on the system, but having multiple processors is not a
requirement.