[robotics-worldwide] PostDoc_POSITION_IN_ROBOTICS_IN_UK

Martin Huelse msh at aber.ac.uk
Fri May 30 02:46:23 PDT 2008

RESEARCH POSITION IN ROBOTICS

Post-Doctoral Research Associate
Robotics Research Group, Department of Computer Science,
Aberystwyth University, Wales, UK
£22,332 - £33,780
Applications are invited for the post of postdoctoral Research Associate
for a project on robot interaction in the context of sensory-motor
learning. This is a three year EC FP 7 funded project with 5 other
partners (see http://www.rossiproject.eu). The successful applicant
should have a doctorate in a relevant field, excellent software
engineering skills, and good writing and communication skills. For
informal enquiries contact: Prof. Mark Lee, email: mhl at aber.ac.uk,
phone: +44 (0)1970 622420 (direct).

Ref: CS.07.09
Closing date: 20 June 2008

This project is entitled "ROSSI; Emergence of communication in Robots
through Sensorimotor and Social Interaction", and focuses on the
development of communication between robots and humans
(http://www.rossiproject.eu).
In particular, the project is addressing the question of how critical it
is for communicating agents to share the same general view of the world.
  Agents possessing different sensory and motor systems may have
different views of the world and therefore may have difficulties in
communicating. We are exploring to what extent and which aspects of
world models must be shared in order to facilitate communication between
robots and humans.  We wish to increase understanding of the
requirements of affordance based world models, shared models and
communication provided by such models, based on understanding of
objects, actions, and processes in their environment. The focus of this
project is the construction of robots that are able to process simple
commands and to respond appropriately by interacting with different
kinds of objects and entities in their environment. This project has 6
partners in Italy, Germany, Sweden and Turkey, involving psychologists,
neuroscientists, computer scientists and robotics engineers. We are
involved in all stages but especially the implementation of the models
in a robotic manipulation system and the testing and experimentation
with real application tasks.

We wish to appoint a Post-Doctoral Research Associate who will take
major responsibility for the programme of research in the context of our
robotics team.  This post is available on a three-year fixed-term
contract. We expect to appoint for a start date of 1 March 2008.

- Applicants should have a doctorate in computer science, artificial
intelligence, engineering, or a related scientific field, and be able to
demonstrate research experience.
- The post requires excellent software skills for the implementation and
running of a range of experimental components.
- The successful applicant will also be involved in writing scientific
documents and papers and will be expected to travel and give
presentations as necessary.

For informal enquiries contact Mark Lee:
mhl at aber.ac.uk
+44 (0)1970-622420
For further details of the post and an application form please see the
link below:
http://www.aber.ac.uk/human-resources/en/vacancies.shtml

Ref: CS.07.09
Closing date: 20 June 2008

NOTE: Please put the post reference on the front of your envelope and on
your application form.  Completed Applications Forms should be signed
and returned to the Operations Team by fax or post. E-mail attachments
will not be accepted.

Bilingual Institution which operates a Welsh Language scheme.
Committed to Equal Opportunities.

Operations Team: vacancies at aber.ac.uk /
Tel:  01970 621591 /
Fax:  01970 622975

Martin Huelse, Dr. rer. nat.

Intelligent Robotics Group               email:   msh at aber.ac.uk
Department of Computer Science,          web:     aml.somebodyelse.de
University of Wales,                     office:  +44 (0)1970-62 2441
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3DB,       lab:     +44 (0)1970-62 2403
United Kingdom.                          fax:     +44 (0)1970-62 8536