[robotics-worldwide] software developer (NASA Ames Intelligent Robotics Group)
terry.fong at nasa.gov
Thu Nov 20 10:07:24 PST 2008
Position: Software Developer
Location: Intelligent Robotics Group
NASA Ames Research Center (Moffett Field, CA)
We are looking for a full-time developer to help NASA send robots to the Moon.
If you want to make a difference in space exploration, come join us!
Ideal candidates will have a solid history of implementing and deploying
complex software systems that integrate multiple languages and libraries on
- Develop software tools for remotely controlling a rolling-walking robot.
This project includes interactive 3D graphics, GUI design, middleware, and
working with multi-language/multi-platform components.
- Develop software sysetms for processing satellite imagery of the Moon
into maps and 3D models. This work involves creating very high-performance
processing pipelines and innovative geospatial user interfaces.
Applicants should hold a B.S. (or higher) in Computer Science or Robotics
and have solid experience in software design and implementation. A strong
background in UNIX-based development is required. In addition, knowledge in
one (or more) of the following areas is greatly preferred:
- Structured software engineering and process including use of UML, OOP,
and design patterns
- Advanced proficiency with C++, Eclipse, Java/JNI, Linux development
(GNU tools, svn, etc), shell scripting, and complex build systems
(using Makefiles, Ant, and CMake)
- Experience writing software for distributed and multi-threaded
applications, including interprocess communications and middleware
python/zope, django, etc.)
- Team-based product development experience (configuration management,
build management, regression testing, and documentation)
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send the
following via email:
1. A letter describing your background and software experience
2. A detailed resume (PDF or text)
3. Contact details for at least two references
to Terry Fong <terry.fong at nasa.gov>.
*** U.S. citizenship or Permanent Resident status is REQUIRED
The NASA Ames Intelligent Robotics Group (IRG) is dedicated to enabling
humans and robots to explore and learn about extreme environments, remote
locations, and uncharted worlds. IRG conducts applied research in a wide
range of areas with an emphasis on robotics systems science and field
testing. IRG's expertise includes applied computer vision (navigation, 3D
surface modeling, automated science support), human-robot interaction,
interactive 3D user interfaces, robot software architecture, and planetary
rovers. For more information, please visit: http://irg.arc.nasa.gov
More information about the robotics-worldwide