[robotics-worldwide] Deadline is Extended: International Workshop on Cognitive Humanoid Vision WCHV2008 (joint workshop HUMANOIDS'2008)

Eduardo Bayro edb at gdl.cinvestav.mx
Fri Sep 19 07:24:31 PDT 2008

Dear Researchers,

The deadline of the extended abstract submission of the International
Workshop on Cognitive Humanoid Vision is extended.
The new deadlines is

30th September 2008

CALL for PARTICIPATION

WORKSHOP

COGNITIVE HUMANOID VISION

To be held at IEEE-RAS Humanoids’2008

*http://humanoids2008.org/huma5.html

Chairs: Prof. Eduardo Bayro-Corrochano (CINVESTAV, Guadalajara, Mexico)
and Prof. Ales Leonardis (Visual Cognitive Systems Laboratory,
University of Ljubljana)

The organizers invite you to submit a 3-4 pages length extended abstract
for review to the Workshop on Cognitive Humanoid Vision.

The workshop will take place on Monday, December 1^st ,2008, at KAIST,
Daejeon, Korea

Important Dates:

submission deadline – September 30

send extended abstracts to: edb at gdl.cinvestav.mx

notification of acceptance - October 15

final version – 5 November

workshop - December 1

All accepted abstracts will be published in a DVD workshop proceedings

------
Special Issue of International Journal of Humanoid Robotics (IJHR)

selected full extended papers will be consider as part of an special
IJHR issue on *Cognitive Human Vision*, which will be printed out in
December 2009
------

Scope

In the middle eighties pioneers brought into play the concept of active
vision. This accompanied the thoughts of researchers and developers of
vision systems up to know. On the other hand research in neuroscience,
cognitive robotics and humanoids is showing the need for more
understanding about the brain function and the human vision system.
Recently at the Workshop “The Active Vision of Humanoid Robots”
(Humnoids’2007, Pittsburgh)* *the wording Action Vision was introduced
to relate vision with an expected action when we are looking for the
foundations of a cognitive architecture. Definitively, it appears that
we need a broad conceptual framework to bring together all those new
ideas and efforts for vision to push forward the design and development
of intelligent perception action systems.**

The visual manifold carries enormous amount of information which can not
be exhaustively processed in real time with current technology. So, the
obvious WWWW questions are: what, where, when and with which procedures
we should look at. The rapid growing in research interests like to
understand how the brain works by building humanoids, shows clearly that
our current thoughts, theory, algorithms and hardware are by far still
insufficient to cope with the high algorithmic complexity involved by
the image processing to tackle in real time fundamentals problems like
the correspondence problem other our naïve predisposition to stick with
processing in Euclidean metric in apparently obvious subspaces. The
attempt of this workshop goes beyond Active Vision or Action Vision, it
proposes as study topic the Cognitive Humanoid Vision as a much more
general framework to develop a real time vision system for humanoids.

The Workshop goal is to gather researchers confronted with the challenge
to develop real time algorithms for cognitive vision. The traditional
robot architectures are calling for a cognitive architecture to embodied
the sophistication required for an intelligent machine. In this regard,
the traditional concept of active vision evolves to a concept the
/action vision and /further to/ cognitive humanoid vision/, as this is
the way how the visual processing is tight with a reactive behaviour as
by humans confronted with dynamic changes of all sort in their
environment. In this workshop we expect contributions and a debate with
focus on following key issues:

- visual architecture for a cognitive architecture

- Feature extraction, grouping, 3D contours, visuo-motor representations

- Segment the scene into surfaces?

- How build models of objects and events in space and time?

- How integrate cue information

- Visuo-motor representations: how build and use them

- Priming models to bottom up information

- Model base segmentation, prospective anticipation

- Conscious reality instead of physical reality

- Perception of spatial layout

- Software for a basic visual front-end for humanoids

- Nature of the information that the humanoid should extract from images
and video

- A language for processing the semantics of the meaning of the visual
manifold

- Information extracting and learning at middle level vision

Submissions:

All accepted abstracts will be published in a DVD workshop proceedings.
New results are welcome. We also encourage researchers with relevant
work to retarget previously published results to the workshop topic.
Authors will be asked to present their work as a talk. Selected papers
in an extend form will be considered for an special issue IJHR on
Cognitive Humanoid Vision which will be printed out in December 2009.

All submissions should describe the material to be presented at the
workshop. The extended abstracts should be 3 to 4 pages length and
comply with the standard IEEE conference page layout.in PDF format using
the IEEE template (http://humanoids2008.org/huma3-2.html). The abstracts
should be emailed to edb at gdl.cinvestav.mx by September 30. Notification
of acceptance will be given on October 15 and the submission of the
final version at November 5.