[robotics-worldwide] Postdoc Position in Robot Grasping/Manipulation, Yale University

Aaron Dollar aaron.dollar at yale.edu
Sun Apr 19 15:28:54 PDT 2009

I am seeking applicants for a Postdoctoral Researcher position in robotic
grasping and manipulation at Yale University. The specific nature of the
project will vary depending on the interests and background of the
successful applicant, but substantial hardware and experimental experience
is strongly preferred. Excellent written and spoken English skills are
essential.

The overall goal of the research avenue is to understand the fundamental
role of compliance and adaptability in robot hand mechanics and to explore
manipulators that promise improved performance and control in real-world
unstructured environments. Work for the advertised position will involve
some combination of theory, simulation, design, hardware development, and
experiment. Results from previous work in this area have been implemented on
robots by other researchers at MIT and Georgia Tech, and we are currently
working with Honda to adapt our hands for the ASIMO humanoid robot platform.
More information about recent work can be found at:
http://www.eng.yale.edu/adollar/

I am deeply committed to a strong mentoring relationship with my lab group
and creating a fun, exciting, and productive work environment. In addition
to technical areas associated with the research project, successful
applicants can expect to gain experience in grant writing, student
supervision, and project management, as well as develop strong ties to the
academic and industrial robotics community in the Northeast US. Within Yale,
our lab has close interaction with the research group of Prof. John Morrell,
a lead developer of the Segway Human Transporter whose research centers on
Human-Machine Interaction.

Interested applicants should send a CV describing their relevant background,
skill set and career goals, along with three references and any other
relevant information to Prof. Aaron Dollar (aaron.dollar at yale.edu).