[robotics-worldwide] IJRR announces a new category of paper - the "Data Paper"

Paul Newman pnewman at robots.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 26 13:47:07 PDT 2009

 From the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Robotics
Research,

The International Journal of Robotics Research announces a new genre
of paper – the data paper – for significant and peer reviewed archival
data sets.  Data papers build on the success of archival multimedia
content for papers, another IJRR innovation that was introduced in
July 2001.

Our goal in creating data papers is to facilitate and encourage the
release of high quality, peer reviewed data sets to the robotics
community.  We believe that the widespread availability of large data
sets (order of Gbytes) will overcome a significant entry barrier in
robotics which currently slows algorithmic development.

Benefits will come from eliminating the effort and expertise required
to collect these very large experimental data sets, and from
facilitating direct comparison to previously published work.

Further details are available in the editorial at http://ijr.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/28/5/587

The IJRR Editor John Hollerbach, Multimedia Editors Paul Newman and
Peter Corke,  Managing Editor Jennet Batten, and Publishing Editor
Wendy Truran, will all be at ICRA 2009 and will be happy to discuss
any aspects of data papers with potential authors.

Paul Newman
Peter Corke

MM Editors
International Journal of Robotics Research