[robotics-worldwide] ICRA workshop on Agricultural Robotics
doetomo at unimelb.edu.au
Sun Feb 15 20:33:05 PST 2009
Call for Participation
ICRA WORKSHOP ON AGRICULTURAL ROBOTICS
TITLE Autonomous Agriculture
TIME Wednesday, May 13 2009, 9:00-12:00, Half-day Workshop
VENUE Room 401, Session WW-H1.
Professor Noboru NOGUCHI, Research Faculty of Agriculture, Hokkaido University, JAPAN
Dr Roland Lenain, CEMAGREF, FRANCE
Professor Sanjiv Singh, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
Dr Satoru Sakai, Chiba University, JAPAN
Xavier Paolo Burgos-Artizzu, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas (CSIC), Madrid, Spain
Automation is one of the most significant factors in the improvement of farming efficiency. At present, the maturing technologies within the robotics community pave the way for the exciting deployment of robust robotics systems in the semi-structured environment of large scale farming. This has the potential to increase productivity and the quality of agricultural facilities. The way farming the industry in general is modeled and executed may also be drastically modified. The autonomous operation of agricultural activities is discussed in this workshop, critically explored through the presentation of the new technologies available today.
After a successful workshop in ICRA 2008, the IEEE RAS Technical Committee is proposing to organize another workshop at ICRA 2009, inviting a new set of speakers to present their work. While the presenters in the last workshop came mostly from the US and Australia (and just one presenter from Japan), the Technical Committee is seeking to widen its network by inviting more participation from Europe and Japan for this round of the workshop. This session is proposed as a half-day workshop at ICRA 2009.
MOTIVATIONS AND OBJECTIVES
* To present the concept of autonomous agriculture through the robust application of robotics and automation strategies.
* To generate awareness and interest on the role and impact of robotics and automation in agricultural applications.
* To present state-of-the-art technology in autonomous systems deployed on the agricultural tasks.
List of topics
Topics of the workshop is focused on the technical concept and realization of autonomous agriculture, which can be focused on (but not limited to):
* Modeling, planning, sensing, and control of autonomous field robots
* Robots for automated inspection and handling of farm produce
* Methods of sensing, identification, and localisation in the semi-structured farming environment
* Strategies for effective human-machine coordination and cooperation in farming tasks
* Algorithm for efficient interaction between the systems and the environment
* Other novel ideas, concepts, applications that would be of significant contribution to the field of autonomous agriculture
To ATTEND the workshop, go to: http://www.icra2009.org/program/tutorial-workshop.html
Contact for Session organizers:
Professor John Billingsley
Faculty of Engineering & Surveying
Mechanical & Mechatronic Engineering,
University of Southern Queensland,
Toowoomba Qld 4350Australia
Phone: + 61 7 4631 2513Email:
billings at usq.edu.au
Dr Denny Oetomo,
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Melbourne
VIC 3010 Australia
Tel: +61 3 8344 6795
Fax: +61 3 9347 8784
Email: doetomo at unimelb.edu.au
More information about the robotics-worldwide