[robotics-worldwide] Research associate and PhD positions in robotics, UK

Torbjorn Dahl Torbjorn.Dahl at newport.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 05:11:21 PST 2009

The Robotic Intelligence Laboratory at the University of Wales, Newport, UK are looking to employ a research associate (RA) and two PhD students for a new research project ROBOSKIN, on skin-based technologies and capabilities for safe, autonomous and interactive robots.  This is a three-year EC FP7 funded project with 5 other partners across Europe, including Italy, Switzerland and the UK.  The work will focus on behaviour modelling and reinforcement learning related to employing a novel tactile sensor (robot skin) on the Nao humanoid robot platform.  The work will mainly take place in Newport, Wales, but will also include some travel to our European partners.

Candidates should have good programming and software engineering skills, a strong interest in robotics research, and good analytical and communication skills.  The project involves research on human motion capture for modelling protective robot reflexes and on reinforcement learning for the production of tactile communication gestures.  The RA post requires a PhD in a relevant field and will focus on the modelling and development of tactile protective reflexes.  One PhD student will study generic and reusable representations for protective reflexes.  This position will require a Bachelor degree in a relevant field and experience in developing robot software.  The other PhD student will study the production of tactile communicative gestures.  This position will also require a Bachelor degree in a relevant field and experience in developing reinforcement learning algorithms.  Salary scales: RA: £27,999 - £32,458 and PhDs: £16,799.

The closing date for applications is March 12th 2009.  Employment will start May 1st 2009.  Official information on these positions will shortly be available from the University web site (http://www.newport.ac.uk/jobs <https://my.newport.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://my.newport.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.newport.ac.uk/jobs> ).  To be notified of the official announcement of these positions and for informal enquiries, please contact the lab coordinator Dr Torbjorn Dahl, email: torbjorn.dahl at newport.ac.uk, phone: +44 (0)1633 432344 (direct).

The Robotic Intelligence Lab (RIL) (http://ril.newport.ac.uk <https://my.newport.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://my.newport.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://ril.newport.ac.uk> ) at the University of Wales, Newport has been growing rapidly since its foundation in 2004 and currently has a number of active research projects funded both nationally (UK) and through Europe.  The lab is located at the University's Allt-yr-yn Campus close to the centre of the city and is due to move into dedicated facilities in the University's new riverside campus by 2011.

The University of Wales, Newport (UWN) (http://www.newport.ac.uk <https://my.newport.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://my.newport.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.newport.ac.uk> ) is part of the University of Wales confederation and has long traditions in engineering, mechatronics and robotics.  UWN gained university status in 2004 and has a stimulating mix of national, European and international students.  UWN was ranked 55th out of 132 in the UK and 5th out of 10 in Wales in the 2008 UK research assessment exercise.