[robotics-worldwide] Postdoc and Ph.D. openings in Robotics at ETH Zurich

Nelson Bradley bradley.nelson at iris.mavt.ethz.ch
Tue Feb 24 04:50:07 PST 2009

**********************
Immediate opening for Postdoctoral Associates at ETH Zurich in the area of robot control and modeling and/or Microfabrication

My Multi-Scale Robotics Lab in the Institute of Robotics and Intelligent Systems at ETH Zurich has immediate postdoc openings. I am looking for someone with a strong background in the area of robotic control and modeling interested in working with our microrobotics group on the control of wirelessly guided magnetic microrobots for biomedical applications. No microtechnology experience is required, but it would be useful. A biomedical background would help as well.  I am also looking for someone with capabilities in microfabrication.

This is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in an academic career.  By working in our lab, you will be exposed to robotics applications related to microtechnology, nanotechnology, biology, and biomedical engineering. Six people have left our lab for careers in academia over the past few years, helped at least somewhat by the experience they gained with us.

While a yearly contract is offered, funding for the position will remain for at least five years. Postdoc salaries at ETH are very competitive, and Zurich is a great city to live in. Knowledge of German is useful, but not necessary. Please email your CV and list of references directly to me. The positions will be filled once excellent candidates are found.

-Brad Nelson
  ETH Zurich

***********************

Immediate opening for a Ph.D. student at ETH Zurich in the area of micromanipulation of biological organisms

My Multi-Scale Robotics Lab in the Institute of Robotics and Intelligent Systems at ETH Zurich has two immediate Ph.D. openings. The research project the candidate will pursue is related to the manipulation of actively growing individual plant cells and the manipulation of protein fibers. The projects are a collaboration with world class plant biologists and biomaterials scientists in the area of mechanobiology.

This is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in academia or a career in industry related to the emerging field of mechanobiology.  By working in our lab, you will be exposed to robotics applications related to microtechnology, nanotechnology, biology, and biomedical engineering. Six people have left our lab for careers in academia over the past few years, helped at least somewhat by the experience they gained with us. A successful startup company related to micromanipulation was also spun out of our group recently by Ph.D. candidates.

Ph.D. salaries at ETH are very competitive, and Zurich is a great city to live in. Knowledge of German is useful, but not necessary. Please email your resume and list of references directly to me. The positions will be filled once excellent candidates are found.

-Brad Nelson
  ETH Zurich

Prof. Dr. Bradley Nelson
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich
Professor of Robotics and Intelligent Systems (IRIS)

ETH Zürich
Institut für Robotik und Intelligente Systeme (IRIS)           www.iris.ethz.ch
Tannenstrasse 3, CLA H15.2                                   Tel: +41 44 632 55 29
CH-8092 Zürich, Switzerland                                  Fax: +41 44 632 10 78
                                                                           Mob: +41 79 777 61 30