[robotics-worldwide] Reminder: CfP: Workshop on GEM and Benchmarking at Euron AGM - Leuven 6-8 April

Fabio Bonsignorio fabio.bonsignorio at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 02:21:20 PST 2009

(apologies for multiple postings)

Dear All,

There will be a Workshop on GOOD EXPERIMENTAL METHODOLOGY AND
BENCHMARKING IN ROBOTICS RESEARCH AND APPLICATIONS --- GEMBENCH09
during the  Euron Annual General Meeting  2009 in Leuven, Belgium,
April 6-8, 2009.

Many people agree that replication of reported results and their
comparison by means of benchmarks are needed to foster a quicker
cumulative advancement  of our knowledge of intelligent physical
agents and even to correctly appreciate disruptive innovation in
robotics research.
Despite that there are a number of open issues: should we take
inspiration from biology and medicine?Are replication and benchmarking
really possible in robotics?Are current limits in reporting a
bottleneck to industrial exploitation?  Is there an impact on robotics
research funding policy evaluation? We will check where we are and
speculate on what's ahead.

This will be an opportunity to gather people sharing these ideas.

If you are interested to speak, there is still room, please submit an
abstract by email to
one of the organizers asap, but please  before February 7th, to allow
us to issue the, quite flexible :-) program.
Voice your opinion!

At Euron AGM in Leuven there will be the official startup of Euron 3,
and many other interesting events, too :-)

All the best
Fabio

Fabio

Workshop Highlights:
-- Registration is Free
-- Seminar Format: This forum aims to provoke a public discussion of
the challenges, problems, possible approaches and doubts raised,
related to this program and to identify the possible ways to cope (or
fail) with them. The forum will consist of presentations interleaved
with a significant amount of additional time for discussions between
the presentations and at the end of the half-day single track session.
--Post Proceedings: The speakers and the attendees will be invited to
send a 'real' paper AFTER the discussion for a post proceedings book,
with no hurry :-)
-- Advance Booking of Zipped Talks: If you want to book in advance for
a 3 minutes talk on one of the topics, just send an email to the
organizers, with a 'title'.
-- Unconference style interaction is encouraged: This will be a
'working' :-) workshop interaction in person and by social networking
media with people in the room and outside is welcome

DATES:
Abstract submission deadline: February   7th
Notification of acceptance:       February 15th

Organizers:Fabio Bonsignorio
CEO & Founder
Heron Robots srl V.R. Ceccardi 1/18, 16121 Genova, Italy.
Email: fabio.bonsignorio at heronrobots.com
Tel: +39-339-8406011

Angel P. del Pobil, Ph.D.
Co-Chair for Research, European Robotics Research Network EURON
Professor, Department of Engineering and Computer Science
Universitat Jaume-I
Campus Riu Sec, Edificio TI, E-12071 Castellon, Spain.
Email: pobil at icc.uji.es
Tel: +34-964-72.82.93

John Hallam,

Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller Institute, University of Southern Denmark (SDU)
Odense, Denmark

Email:john at mmmi.sdu.dk
Tel: +45-65503546

----