[robotics-worldwide] Call for PhD positions in Biorobotics at the Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa, Italy

Paolo Dario paolo.dario at sssup.it
Mon Jun 1 09:38:42 PDT 2009

Dear colleague,
we should like to draw to your attention the Call for Applications to
the PhD Program (in Italian: "Perfezionamento") in Biorobotics of the
Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa, Italy (www.sssup.it).
The Program is coordinated by our team at the ARTS and CRIM Labs
(www-arts.sssup.it and www-crim.sssup.it).
As you know, Biorobotics is a new scientific and technological area with
a unique interdisciplinary character. It derives its methodology mainly
from the sectors of Robotics and Biomedical Engineering, but it includes
knowledge from, and provides useful applications to, many sectors of
engineering, basic and applied sciences (medicine, neuroscience,
economics, law, bio/nanotechnologies in particular), and even humanities
(philosophy, psychology, ethics). Biorobotics aims at increasing
knowledge on how biological systems work, by analyzing them from a
"biomechatronic" point of view; and at exploiting such knowledge in
order to develop innovative methodologies and technologies, both for
designing and building high performance bio-inspired machines and
systems (at the macro, micro and nano scales), such as animaloid and
humanoid robots, and for developing devices for biomedical applications,
such as for minimally-invasive surgery and neuro-rehabilitation, and
even for the development of new industrial products.
The PhD Program in Biorobotics aims at educating highly competent
researchers with the potential to stand as future leaders in the area of
Biorobotics worldwide. The ARTS and CRIM Labs are recognized as pioneers
in the field of Biorobotics. So we will offer the PhD Students in
Biorobotics a vibrant, interdisciplinary, international environment
carrying on very advanced research projects. The selected PhD students
will join a class of numerous PhD students, and will be offered advanced
courses as well as individual research projects in the framework of many
international projects (www.octopus-project.eu, http://www.araknes.org/,
http://www.vector-project.com/, http://www.lampetra.org/,
http://www.theangelsproject.eu/, www.dustbot.org,
http://www.hydronet-project.eu/, http://www.project-time.eu/,
http://www.nanobiotact.org/, http://www.integ-micro.eu/, and many
others). The PhD students will use our excellent facilities, equipped
with state-of-the-art instruments and robotic platforms; they will carry
on their individual research projects under the active tutorship of
well-known leaders in Biorobotics; they will be part of a large
interdisciplinary research team comprising more than 120 senior and
junior researchers and students; they will have continuous access to a
network of international and interdisciplinary partners; and they will
actively participate in many international projects.
********************
The deadline for the Call is JUNE 11, 2009. Please refer to
http://www.sssup.it/techschool for the details of the application.
Please be sure to apply to the BIOROBOTICS CURRICULUM of the PhD
Programme in Innovative Technologies of Info. & Com. Eng. and Robotics.
********************

Please note that the Applicants should submit, in addition to their
education and academic records, a detailed Research Project, of no more
than 3,000 words, which will describe the research activities that
applicants would like to perform during the PhD course. The Research
Project should be consistent with one of the main topics of the
Biorobotics Curriculum, such as: microengineering and microrobotics,
humanoid and biomimetic robotics, medical robotics (including
rehabilitation, surgery, prosthetics), and related methods and
components (control, sensors, actuators, materials, etc.)
In addition to the current Call, a second Call for 10-15 PhD positions,
specific for Biorobotics, will be issued within a few months by the
Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, with the same characteristics. We advise
students to apply to the current open Call, and in case to re-submit
their application to the next Call.
We deeply encourage your students possessing a M.S. Degree to apply. Of
course, we should be happy to consider those students, if their
application is successful, as a link to your laboratory and as an
opportunity to pursue active collaboration with you.

Best regards,
Paolo Dario

--
Paolo Dario