[robotics-worldwide] Special Issue on "Cognitive Humanoid Vision" International Journal of Humanoid Research

Eduardo Bayro edb at gdl.cinvestav.mx
Tue Mar 3 07:10:14 PST 2009

Special Issue on "Cognitive Humanoid Vision" to be published in the**

International Journal of Humanoid Robotics (IJHR)

http://www.worldscinet.com/ijhr/mkt/callforpapers_details.shtml#active

*Submission Schedule:*

Submission deadline July 1, 2009

Notification: September 1, 2009.

Final manuscript due:     October 1, 2009

Publication:  December 2009

* *

*Details for submission:*

Submissions should comply with the publication guidelines for the /International Journal of Humanoid Robotics/(http://www.worldscinet.com/ijhr/mkt/guidelines.shtml).

Please submit papers at http://www.worldscinet.com/ijhr/ijhr.shtml with
a note "Paper for Special Issue on Cognitive Humanoid Vision”.

Guest Editors:

 Prof. Eduardo Bayro-Corrochano, CINVESTAV, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Guadalajara, México, edb at gdl.cinvestav.mx <mailto:edb at gdl.cinvestav.mx>

                        and

Prof. Ales Leonardis, Visual Cognitive Systems Laboratory
<http://vicos.fri.uni-lj.si/>, Faculty of Computer and Information
Science <http://www.fri.uni-lj.si/>, University of Ljubljana
<http://www.uni-lj.si/>, _ales.leonardis at fri.uni-lj.si_

	Following the two successful workshops  the first on “Active Vision of Humanoids” that

took place  in Pittsburgh, PA at the conference Humanoids’2007, November 29,

http://planning.cs.cmu.edu/humanoids07/index.shtml and the second on “Cognitive Humanoid Vision” held at  IEEE-RAS Humanoids’2008 in Daejeon, South Korea, December, 1, _http://humanoids2008.org/_

we solicit papers for a special issue devoted to the topic cognitive humanoid vision.

*Special Issue Theme *

In the middle eighties pioneers brought into play the concept of active
vision. This accompanied the thoughts of researchers and developers of
vision systems up to know. On the other hand research in neuroscience,
cognitive robotics and humanoids is showing the need for more
understanding about the brain function and the human vision system.
Recently at the Workshop “The Active Vision of Humanoid Robots”
(Humnoids’2007, Pittsburgh)* *the wording Action Vision was introduced
to relate vision with an expected action when we are looking for the
foundations of a cognitive architecture. Definitively, it appears that
we need a broad conceptual framework to bring together all those new
ideas and efforts for vision to push forward the design and development
of intelligent perception action systems.**

The visual manifold carries enormous amount of information which can not
be exhaustively processed in real time with current technology. So, the
obvious WWWW questions are: what, where, when and with which procedures
we should look at. The rapid growing in research interests like to
understand how the brain works by building humanoids, shows clearly that
our current thoughts, theory, algorithms and hardware are by far still
insufficient to cope with the high algorithmic complexity involved by
the image processing to tackle in real time fundamentals problems like
the correspondence problem other our naïve predisposition to stick with
processing in Euclidean metric in apparently obvious subspaces. The
attempt of this workshop goes beyond Active Vision or Action Vision, it
proposes as study topic the Cognitive Humanoid Vision as a much more
general framework to develop a real time vision system for humanoids.

The Workshop goal is to gather researchers confronted with the challenge
to develop real time algorithms for cognitive vision. The traditional
robot architectures are calling for a cognitive architecture to embodied
the sophistication required for an intelligent machine. In this regard,
the traditional concept of active vision evolves to a concept the
/action vision and /further to/ cognitive humanoid vision/, as this is
the way how the visual processing is tight with a reactive behaviour as
by humans confronted with dynamic changes of all sort in their
environment. In this workshop we expect contributions and a debate with
focus on following key issues:

- visual architecture for a cognitive architecture

- Feature extraction, grouping, 3D contours, visuo-motor representations

- Segment the scene into surfaces?

- How build models of objects and events in space and time?

- How integrate cue information

- Visuo-motor representations: how build and use them

- Priming models to bottom up information

- Model base segmentation, prospective anticipation

- Conscious reality instead of physical reality

- Perception of spatial layout

- Software for a basic visual front-end for humanoids

- Nature of the information that the humanoid should extract from images
and video

- A language for processing the semantics of the meaning of the visual
manifold

- Information extracting and learning at middle level vision

Papers addressing such topics or others relevant to the design of humanoid's vision system, should be submitted before the first of July  for a target publication date of end  2009.