[robotics-worldwide] Call for Contribution - Newsletter IEEE RAS Technical Committee on Algorithms for Planning and Control of Robot Motion

Thierry Fraichard thierry.fraichard at inrialpes.fr
Wed Mar 4 04:07:20 PST 2009

Dear Colleagues,

The next edition of the Newsletter of the IEEE Robotics And Automation
Technical Committee on Algorithms for Planning and Control of Robot
Motion will be published at the end of March.

We welcome your contributions to this newsletter.  If you would like to
announce or report on an interesting event (workshop, summer school...),
write a book review or a paper synopsis, present an emerging field,
report on an application of motion planning in industry, or on anything
that may be of interest to our committee, please let us know before
March 15th please.  We thank you in advance for your contribution (it
does not have to be long, simple ASCII text is fine).

For your information, we recall hereafter the scope of the Algorithms
for Planning and Control of Robot Motion committee (see also
http://robotics.cs.umass.edu/tc-apc).

Regards,

Thierry Fraichard, Hadas Kress-Gazit & Jyh-Ming Lien (Newsletter Editors)

Scope of the Algorithms for Planning and Control of Robot Motion Committee

As modern robots address real-world problems in dynamic, unstructured,
and open environments, novel challenges arise in the areas of robot
control algorithms and motion planning. These challenges stem from an
increased need for autonomy and flexibility in robot motion and task
execution. Adequate algorithms for control and motion planning will have
to capture high-level motion strategies that adapt to sensor feedback.
The technical committee for Algorithms for planning and Control of Robot
Motion promotes algorithms research, both basic and application-driven,
towards these objectives. Priority areas include:

1. consideration of sensing modalities and uncertainty in planning and
    control algorithms;

2. development of representations and motion strategies capable of
    incorporating feedback signals;

3. motion subject to constraints, arising from kinematics, dynamics, and
    nonholonomic systems;

4. addressing the characteristics of dynamic environments;

5. developing control and planning algorithms for hybrid systems;

6. understanding the complexity of algorithmic problems in control and
    motion planning;

7. encouraging the application of planning algorithms in novel
    application areas.