[robotics-worldwide] Call for participation - ICRA 2009 workshop - Formal Methods in Robotics and Automation

Hadas Kress-Gazit hadaskg at cornell.edu
Fri Mar 13 09:07:58 PDT 2009

*Call for Participation*

ICRA 2009 workshop - "Formal Methods in  Robotics and Automation"
http://web.mae.cornell.edu/hadaskg/ICRA09/index.html

Full day workshop to be held on May 12th, 2009 in Kobe, Japan.

*Motivation and objective:*
**
How can we *guarantee* robots will never cause harm? How can we prove that
complicated mechanical systems, controlled by computers and programmed by
people will *always* behave as expected, under changing conditions and in a
variety of uncertain environments?  How do we formalize what such behaviors
are?

Recent work in robotics and automation draws on ideas and methodologies
developed by the formal methods community for verifying logic circuits and
software systems. While these ideas form a good foundation, dealing with
physical robots requires taking into account the dynamics and uncertainty of
the robot as well as the world, thus adding a substantial level of
complexity.

This full day workshop brings together leading researchers in the field to
discuss the state of the art as well as the challenges that must be
addressed in order to create safe and reliable systems that can be proven to
be correct, either by design or by verification.

*Intended audience:*

Researchers and students interested in verification of robotic and
automation systems, formal task representation and controller synthesis as
well as researchers from industry that may suggest further challenges that
should be addressed by this community

*Speakers*:
Calin Belta – Boston University
 Julia Braman* *– California Institute of Technology
Magnus Egerstedt – Georgia Institute of Technology
Lydia Kavraki – Rice University
Eric Klavins – University of Washington
Hadas Kress-Gazit - Cornell University
Sayan Mitra - University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
George Pappas - University of Pennsylvania
 Claire Tomlin – Stanford University, UC Berkeley

--
Hadas Kress-Gazit