[robotics-worldwide] CfP and Program: Workshop on GEM and Benchmarking during Euron AGM - Leuven 6 April 2009

Fabio Bonsignorio fabio.bonsignorio at heronrobots.com
Thu Mar 26 13:42:08 PDT 2009

(apologies for multiple postings)

Dear All,

There will be a Workshop on GOOD EXPERIMENTAL METHODOLOGY AND
BENCHMARKING IN ROBOTICS RESEARCH AND APPLICATIONS --- GEMBENCH09
during the  Euron Annual General Meeting  2009 in Leuven, Belgium, April
6-7, 2009.

Many people agree that replication of reported results and their
comparison by means of benchmarks are needed to foster a quicker
cumulative advancement  of our knowledge of intelligent physical
agents and even to correctly appreciate disruptive innovation in
robotics research.
Despite that there are a number of open issues: should we take
inspiration from biology and medicine?Are replication and benchmarking
really possible in robotics?Are current limits in reporting a
bottleneck to industrial exploitation?  Is there an impact on robotics
research funding policy evaluation? We will check where we are and
speculate on what's ahead.

This will be an opportunity to gather people sharing these ideas.

If you have something to say on the topic, there will room for discussion as
this is meant as an highly interactive event
Voice your opinion!

At Euron AGM in Leuven there will be the official startup of Euron 3,
and many other interesting events, too :-) see the program of the Euron AGM
and logistics details here:http://www.euron.org/activities/agms/index

All the best
Fabio

Workshop Highlights:
-- Registration is Free
-- Seminar Format: This forum aims to provoke a public discussion of
the challenges, problems, possible approaches and doubts raised,
related to this program and to identify the possible ways to cope (or
fail) with them. The forum will consist of presentations interleaved
with a significant amount of additional time for discussions between
the presentations and at the end of the half-day single track session.
--Post Proceedings: The speakers and the attendees will be invited to
send a 'real' paper AFTER the discussion for a post proceedings book,
with no hurry :-)
--Unconference style interaction is encouraged: This will be a
'working' :-) workshop interaction in person and by social networking
media with people in the room and outside is welcome

DATES: April 6 April

PROGRAM:

9:00 - 9:20 Introduction

9:20 - 9:40 RAWSEEDS: Datasets and Problems for SLAM Benchmarking
                 M.Matteucci Politecnico di Milanp
                 D.Sorrenti G. Fontana Univ Milano - Bicocca

9:40 - 10:00 Teleworkbench – A Teleoperated Platform for Robotic Experiments
A. Tanoto, U.Witkowski, U. Rückert University of Paderborn

10:00 - 10:20 Testing for better design: The case of KRISSALOS Unmanned
Surface Vehicle"
N. Tsourveloudis, P. Spanoudakis, V. Kanakakis, N. Vitzilaios Technical
Univ. of Crete

10:20 - 10:40 Benchmarking vision based outdoor robot localization using
both directional and omnidirectional images
E.Frontoni P. Zingaretti UNIVPM

10:40 – 11: 00  Coffee Break

11:00 - 11:20 Standardization of service robotics: why, how, when ?
R.Gelin Aldebaran Robotics

11:20 - 11:40 RoSta: Recommendations for Benchmarking in Mobile Service
Robotics
K.Pfeiffer Fraunhofer IPA

11:40 - 12:00 In search of good experimental methodologies in robotics:
getting inspiration from natural science?
M.Reggiani Uni Padua
F. Amigoni V. Schiafonati Politecnico di Milano

12:00 - 12: 20 Refutable Robotics Research: what we mean
F. Bonsignorio A. P. Del Pobil John Hallam

12:20 - 13:00 Open discussion

13:00 - 13:15  Closing

Organizers:Fabio Bonsignorio
CEO & Founder
Heron Robots srl V.R. Ceccardi 1/18, 16121 Genova, Italy.
Email: fabio.bonsignorio at heronrobots.com
Tel: +39-339-8406011

Angel P. del Pobil, Ph.D.
Co-Chair for Research, European Robotics Research Network EURON
Professor, Department of Engineering and Computer Science
Universitat Jaume-I
Campus Riu Sec, Edificio TI, E-12071 Castellon, Spain.
Email: pobil at icc.uji.es
Tel: +34-964-72.82.93

John Hallam,

Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller Institute, University of Southern Denmark (SDU)
Odense, Denmark

Email:john at mmmi.sdu.dk <Email%3Ajohn at mmmi.sdu.dk>
Tel: +45-65503546