[robotics-worldwide] [2nd CFP] Workshop on Mobile Manipulation

Brian Gerkey gerkey at willowgarage.com
Fri May 1 17:41:37 PDT 2009

Just a week left for submissions!  It's the perfect time to write up
those latest results!

CALL FOR PAPERS

RSS 2009 Workshop: Mobile Manipulation in Human Environments

When: Sunday, 28 June, 9.00am - 5.30pm

Where: Robotics: Science and Systems Conference, University of
Washington,
Seattle, WA, USA.

Website: http://www.willowgarage.com/rss09mm

Submission deadline: 8 May 2009

The goal of this full-day workshop is to gather and discuss state of the
art research in mobile manipulation. We emphasize mobile and
manipulation:
we will explore the problems that arise and the solutions that are
developed when working with  robots that move freely through, and
manipulate objects in, human-centered environments. These problems
must be
solved to develop applications in real-world settings in health care,
flexible factories, and domestic chores. We are especially interested
in autonomous systems that integrate robust sensing and actuation to
perform tasks in cluttered and uncertain environments, but we also
welcome
new ideas on teleoperation and mixed-mode systems. Empirical results
showing integrated systems with physical hardware are preferred, even if
preliminary.

This workshop is the 5th installment in a series of
manipulation-centered workshops at RSS. Previous RSS workshops were:

    * 2005: Humanoid Manipulation
    * 2006: Manipulation for Human Environments
    * 2007: Sensing and Adapting to the Real World
    * 2008: Robot Manipulation: Intelligence in Human Environments

This workshop is also part of a broader movement of multiple communities
toward mobile manipulation as a key interdisciplinary research topic. We
encourage participation in other mobile manipulation meetings, such as
the
IJCAI 2009 Mobile Manipulation Challenge and the ICAPS 2009 Workshop on
Bridging the Gap between Task and Motion Planning.

Submissions:

We solicit paper submissions, optionally accompanied by a video, both of
which will be reviewed (not double-blind) by the program committee. The
review criteria will be: technical quality, significance of system
demonstration, and topicality. We aim to accept 9--12 papers for oral
presentation at the meeting. Videos will be shown during an afternoon
session open to the public.

Accepted papers and videos will be assembled into proceedings and
distributed in CD format at the workshop; they will also be archived
at the
Internet Archive.  If there is sufficient interest, we will pursue
publication of a special journal issue to include the best papers.

Topics of interest include:

    * Integrated systems that can perform everyday tasks robustly
    * Visual or haptic feedback for manipulation
    * Task representation and planning for multi-step manipulation tasks
    * Integration of planning and control for complex manipulation tasks
    * Affordance identification and grasp planning
    * Semi-autonomous, human-in-the-loop control
    * Mobile manipulation with uncertain information
    * Manipulation of tools
    * Long-term autonomy for mobile manipulation systems
    * Safety and interaction with humans
    * Learning common manipulation capabilities
    * Object recognition and pose estimation

Papers should be in PDF, conform to the IEEE Transactions style (same
style
used for RSS), and be maximum of 8 pages in length (shorter papers are
welcome).  Videos should be in the MPEG format, 3-5 minutes in length,
and
easily viewed with free video players (please try playing your video
on a
couple of different machines before submitting).

Email submissions to: rss09mm at lists.willowgarage.com . Please do not
attach
video files to email; include a URL instead.

Important Dates:

    * 8 May 2009: Submissions due
    * 22 May 2009: Notification of acceptance
    * 5 June 2009: Final papers due
    * 28 June 2009: Workshop

Organizers:

    * Brian P. Gerkey, Willow Garage
    * Kurt Konolige, Willow Garage
    * Odest Chadwicke Jenkins, Brown University
    * Robert Platt, NASA Johnson Space Center
    * Neo Ee Sian, AIST

Program Committee:

    * Sachin Chitta, Willow Garage
    * Matei Ciocarlie, Columbia University
    * Rod Grupen, UMass, Amherst
    * Sami Haddadin, DLR
    * Kaijen Hsiao, MIT
    * Charlie Kemp, Georgia Tech
    * Danica Kragic, KTH
    * James Kuffner, CMU
    * Francesco Nori, University of Genova
    * Morgan Quigley, Stanford University
    * Radu Rusu, Technical University of Munich
    * Siddhartha Srinivasa, CMU / Intel Research