[robotics-worldwide] AI Video Awards at IJCAI (Extended Deadline)

Michael Bowling bowling at cs.ualberta.ca
Fri May 22 07:07:05 PDT 2009

The submission deadline for the AI Video Awards has been extended to
May 31, 2009.  This means there's still time to create an entry by
showing off your cool new robot, explaining a new piece of research,
or even teaching about a well-known technique.

This is the Oscars for AI research videos, with cash prizes and a big
ceremony.  Let's show the IJCAI people how much fun robotics is, and
how robotics research will change the world. See www.aivideo.org

        ------------------------------------
          IJCAI-09 Video Competition
        ------------------------------------

IJCAI is pleased to announce the IJCAI-09 AI Video Competition. The
goal of this competition is to show the world how much fun AI+robotics
is by documenting exciting artificial intelligence advances in
research, education, and application. The rules are simple: Compose a
short video about an exciting AI/robotics project, and narrate it so
that it is accessible to a broad online audience. Accepted videos will
be screened in the IJCAI-09 registration area during the conference.
After the Computers and Thought Award lecture on July 14 2009, we will
hold a multi-media ceremony where the developers of the best videos
will be formally presented with awards. We strongly encourage student
participation. So: go ahead and make a cool online video about your AI
project, and get a ton of attention!

Video format: Either 1 minute (max) "short video" or a 5 minute (max)
"long video", with narration in English (or English subtitles).
Consider combining screen shots, interviews, and video of a system in
action. Make the video self-contained, so that newcomers to AI can
understand and learn from it. We encourage a good sense of humor,
though we will only accept submissions with serious AI content. Your
video might cover contemporary research, or document seminal AI
research in the past. Creativity is encouraged!

New for 2009: A Music Video track

Submissions: Place your video at a publicly-accessible www site &
notify the co-chairs:

     David Aha <david.aha at nrl.navy.mil>
     Michael Bowling <bowling at cs.ualberta.ca>

Videos must not contain any copyrighted video, audio, or characters.
Developers of accepted videos will be asked to sign release forms.

Submissions are due May 31 2009. Accepted videos will be announced on
the competition site by June 13, and will be screened at IJCAI-09.
Awards will be presented in the following (tentative) categories: Best
(Long), Best Short, Best Student, Most Informative, Best Educational,
Most Innovative, and Best Narration. Award winners will be presented
with a handsome trophy, named in honor of SRI's Shaky and its
inspirational video.

The complete Call for Video Submissions, including review criteria, is
available at http://www.aivideo.org. We look forward to your
participation in this exciting event!