[robotics-worldwide] Open PhD Positions at ETH Zurich Switzerland

Iida Fumiya fumiya.iida at mavt.ethz.ch
Mon Dec 6 09:02:31 PST 2010

Open PhD Positions

Bio-Inspired Robotics Laboratory
Institute of Robotics and Intelligent Systems
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich
(ETH Zurich) Switzerland

http://www.birl.ethz.ch/

PhD positions will be available at Bio-Inspired Robotics Laboratory, Institute of Robotics and Intelligent Systems, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETHZ), Switzerland. We seek strong candidates who are interested in novel mechanical designs and exploration of unconventional materials for bio-inspired robots.

(1) Requirements
Applicants should have master degrees in one of the following disciplines, but degrees from the other areas are also considered if relevant.
* Mechanical, Electronic, Control Engineering, Robotics
* Physics, Biology, Biomechanics, Material science
* Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence

(2) Conditions
* Main duty includes research activities, lab organization, and teaching assistant
* Starting immediately or at your earliest convenience
* The position will be funded based on the ETHZ regulations

(3) To Apply
Please send an email to (application at birl.mavt.ethz.ch) with your cv, a brief introduction of your research interests and plans, and transcripts of your bachelor and master studies. The selection process will be closed as soon as the position is filled.

Brief Description of the BIRL:
The research interests of the Bio-Inspired Robotics Lab lie at the intersection of robotics and biology. Through abstraction of the design principles of biological systems, we develop core competences which are the design and control of dynamic mechatronics systems, bionic sensor technologies, and computational optimization techniques. Our main goals are to contribute to a deeper understanding of adaptivity and autonomy of animals through the investigation of dynamic robots, and to engineer novel robotic applications which are more adaptive, resilient, and energy efficient. For more information, please visit our website: http://www.birl.ethz.ch/

--
Fumiya IIDA Dr. sc. nat.
SNF Professor
Email: iidaf at ethz.ch