[robotics-worldwide] Robotics research leadership position, Australia [closes 15 Dec]
Jonathan.Roberts at csiro.au
Jonathan.Roberts at csiro.au
Sun Dec 5 17:53:27 PST 2010
Position: Science Leader - Robotics or Senior Science Specialist - Robotics
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Organization: CSIRO ICT Centre
- Lead an innovative team of researchers in robotics
- Shape the future and collaborate with industry nationally and internationally
- Join CSIRO, Australia's premier science & technology research organisation
Salary: AU$115K - AU$172K plus up to 15.4% Superannuation
Relocation Assistance: May be offered to the successful applicant.
Applications Close: 15 December 2010
CSIRO offers an opportunity to a Senior Principal Research Scientist of international standing as a Science Leader in Robotics to join our ICT Centre. Our research capability is concerned with robots operating on land, underwater, in the air and off-earth. We have interests in vision-based navigation, sensor processing, sensor fusion, control and autonomous operation. In particular, methods that help computers or machines to see or to derive information of observed scenes from single or multiple cameras.
As Science Leader you'll work closely with the Chief Scientist in shaping the future of the core research activities within the ICT Centre and bring to the team a history of innovation. You'll develop and nurture professional skills in the science as well as the pursuit of excellence. A team player, you are meticulous and ethical in your science, and creative in the generation of new ideas.
The appointment will be indefinite and the role of Science Leader will be for a (renewable) period of 3 years.
Specifically the role will involve:
- Leading and promoting robotics research which underpins the projects undertaken by research laboratories within the ICT Centre.
- Leading small focused teams to undertake rapid investigation of a number of research projects with the aim of identifying new scientific directions.
- Actively participating in projects underway in the Research Laboratories, either through project leadership or direct participation as a team member.
- Working with other Science Leaders to develop excellence in science and engineering research practice.
- International science leadership as demonstrated through membership of international conferences and editorial boards.
To be considered you will:
- Possess a PhD in engineering, computer science or a related field.
- Have a substantial record of research leadership in robotics.
- Be active in the robotic research area with extensive publications record and a high profile in the international Robotic community.
- Have a track record of student supervision.
- Be able to demonstrate collaborations across universities, research institutions and industry.
Full details of this role can be found at:
All applications must be made through the CSIRO jobs website (the link above), however applicants are encouraged to correspond with Dr Jonathan Roberts (jonathan.roberts at csiro.au) before submitting an application. Please read the selection criteria in detail (from the above link) before talking with Dr Roberts.
Research Director - Autonomous Systems Laboratory
CSIRO ICT Centre, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Phone: +61 7 3327 4501 Website: http://research.ict.csiro.au/research/laboratories/autonomous-systems
More information about the robotics-worldwide