[robotics-worldwide] Job Opportunity: Mechanical/Industrial Design Engineer at ETH Zurich
reistp at ethz.ch
Wed Feb 3 04:55:00 PST 2010
Our research group led by Prof. Raffaello D'Andrea at the Institute for
Dynamic Systems and Control (www.idsc.ethz.ch) develops dynamic
mechatronic systems that serve as research platforms for novel control
strategies and to explore the interface between mathematics, physics,
engineering, and art. We are looking for a mechanical designer who will
take a lead role in the hardware design part of the systems engineering
process for prototypes we build. The design process often includes
aesthetic requirements, so an ideal candidate would not only possess
well-founded mechanical design skills, but also an excellent visual
The start date of the job is as soon as possible.
- Work in close collaboration with staff, researchers and students on
the design of complex mechatronic systems.
- Manage the process of mechanical design, manufacturing and quality
control for our prototype developments.
- Design mechanical systems and generate shop drawings using CAD tools.
- Coordinating internal and external manufacturing resources and manage
parts and device acquisition processes.
- Oversee the management and maintenance of the group's technical
Required Skill Set:
- Bachelor or Master degree in industrial or mechanical design or
similar work experience. At least five years experience in mechanical
design and/or industrial design.
- Excellent communication skills in English and German.
- Proficiency with CAD tools.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects
- Desire to learn about new approaches and materials to find creative
solutions for design and manufacturing problems.
- Proactive personality to take a lead role in the design process.
- A dynamic work environment among highly motivated students and staff.
- An environment that fosters expressing creativity.
- An opportunity to take an active part in the manufacturing process
using the institute's extensive infrastructure and manufacturing
- A competitive salary and excellent social benefits.
Interested individuals should mail a detailed resume and portfolio of
previous projects to
Institute for Dynamic Systems and Control
ATTN: Mechanical Designer
More information about the robotics-worldwide