[robotics-worldwide] PhD position in humanoid robotics at the University of Wales, Newport, UK

Torbjorn Dahl Torbjorn.Dahl at newport.ac.uk
Fri Feb 26 03:31:11 PST 2010

The Robotic Intelligence Laboratory (RIL) at the University of Wales, Newport (UWN), UK are looking to take on a PhD student in relation to the European ROBOSKIN project (http://www.roboskin.eu <https://my.newport.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://my.newport.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.roboskin.eu> ) on skin-based technologies and capabilities for safe, autonomous and interactive robots.

The work is centered on the application of a novel tactile sensor (robot skin) on multiple humanoid robot platforms, primarily the Nao, but also the iCub.  The student will undertake research on human motion capture for modelling protective robot reflexes and the production of generic and reusable representations for protective reflexes.   The work will mainly take place in Newport, Wales, but will also include some travel to our European partners.  The position requires a Bachelor degree (or equivalent)  in a relevant field and experience in developing robot software.  Candidates should have good programming and software engineering skills, a strong interest in robotics research, and good analytical and communication skills.

The closing date for applications is March 14th 2010 and the student is expected to start in May/June.  This is a three year position that includes a bursary of £16,000 per year to cover living expenses and UK/European student fees. It is funded partly by the ROBOSKIN project and partly by UWN.  Overseas applicants will have to address the provision of separate funding to cover the difference between home and overseas fees.

Please email applications with a cv and any informal enquiries to Dr Torbjorn Dahl (torbjorn.dahl at newport.ac.uk).

RIL (http://ril.newport.ac.uk <https://my.newport.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://my.newport.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://ril.newport.ac.uk> ) has been growing rapidly since it was established in 2004.  It currently has a number of active research projects funded both nationally (UK) and through Europe.  The lab is located at the University's
Allt-yr-yn Campus close to the centre of the city and is due to move into dedicated facilities in the University's new riverside campus by 2011.

UWN (http://www.newport.ac.uk <https://my.newport.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://my.newport.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.newport.ac.uk> ) is part of the University of Wales confederation and has long traditions in engineering, mechatronics and robotics.  UWN gained university status in 2004 and has a stimulating mix of national, European and international students.  UWN was ranked 55th out of 132 in the UK and 5th out of
10 in Wales in the 2008 UK research assessment exercise.

Torbjørn S. DAHL, MEng, PhD, ACGI
Reader in Cognitive Robotics - Coordinator of the Robotic Intelligence Lab
Newport Business School - University of Wales, Newport
Allt-yr-yn Campus, Allt-yr-yn Avenue, Newport NP20 5DA, UK
e-mail: torbjorn.dahl at newport.ac.uk <mailto:torbjorn.dahl at newport.ac.uk>      web-site: http://staff.newport.ac.uk/tdahl01 <http://staff.newport.ac.uk/tdahl01>
phone: +44 (0)1633 432344    fax: +44 (0)1633 432307    skype: torbjorn.s.dahl