[robotics-worldwide] 2 PhD positions in Mobile Robotics/Visual Perception at I3A, Universidad de Zaragoza.

José María Martínez Montiel josemari at unizar.es
Mon Jan 25 09:20:45 PST 2010

2 PhD positions in Mobile Robotics/Visual Perception at I3A,  Universidad de Zaragoza.
Robotics, Perception and Real-Time Group at the I3A, Universidad de
Zaragoza (Spain) is looking for PhD student candidates with excellent
academic qualifications interest in pursuing a PhD in the context of
Roboearth European Project focused in the 3D sensing capabilities of
a mobile robot. The consortium is composed of 6 partners from 4
European countries (Eindhove University of Technology, Philips Applied
Technologies, University of Stuttgart, ETH Zurich, Universidad de Zaragoza,
and Technische Universitat Munchen)

How to apply
==========
Deadline for application : February 19th, 2010

e-mail: josemari at unizar.es; +34 976 761975

If interested, please send before February 19th, 2010
1- C.V.
2- Motivation letter (career plan, motivation for PhD, statement of
  research interest)
3- Copy of original study certificates with list of subjects, grades,
  and scale (indicate min, max, and pass threshold for your class) for
  Master degree, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Robotics,
  Mechatronics, Mathematics, Physics or similar.
4- Copy of international publications, if available (max 3).
5- Two references, including its phone contact details

Requirements (Necessary at start date March-July 2010):
===========
Academic: Excellent academic grades.
     Computer Science, Electrical Engineering,
     Maths or Physics.
     Master degree in the related areas will be
         valuable but not imperative.

Background: Knowledge in robotics, computer vision image processing.
   Previous experience in navigation,
    mapping, SLAM techniques
   Programming skills in Matlab and C++ is valuable.

Nationality requirements: European Citizen,or European residence
    permission.
Contract Type:  Phd. Student Grant.
Position:  Phd. Student
Number of Positions:    2
Start Date: March 2010-July 2010
Duration in months:    48
Salary:  As determined by regulations of the Spanish PhD Student
Grants (around 1200_/month)
Town:    Zaragoza
Country: Spain
Place of Work:  Universidad de Zaragoza. Zaragoza, Spain.

Project details
===========
Project Number: FP7 STREP Grant Agreement 248942
Project Title:    RoboEarth: Robots sharing a knowledge base for world
                    modelling and learning of actions

Abstract
=======
RoboEarth is a world-wide platform which robots can use to exchange
position and map information as well as task-related, hardware
independent action recipes. This will enable manufacturers worldwide
to break down their costs and efforts for reproducing software algorithms
for robot behaviour over and over again. The RoboEarth framework can
store all relevant data from algorithms to complex behaviour descriptions
what allows robots to act autonomously in an unknown, unspecified
environment. Especially in the field of interaction with humans RoboEarth
can bring forward the behaviour of robots and simplify the software
design for developers in that field.

vacancy 1: Simultaneous Localization And Mapping (SLAM) for mobile
robots navigation.
The initial goal is to investigate the integration of odometry,
visual senors and laser for a safe collision free map building
in an unknown environment exploiting the available RoboEarth
priors. Robot motion goal is to improve the available scene map.
Visual sensor calibration both extrinsic and intrinsic is considered
only weakly known in order to preserve the system hardware independence.

In a second stage, the goal is to perform the safe navigation and
map building using only visual sensors and odometry. Visual sensors
calibration would be only weakly known in order to preserve the
system hardware independence.

vacancy 2: Semantic based mapping
The main objective is to research how to exploit a world wide database
in the appearance mapping process. On one hand, the prior information
available in the data base has to be exploited to improve the mapping
method, focusing the recognition and localization of objects intended
for interaction with the robot. On the other hand, the information
gathered during the robot operation has to be processed by learning
methods in order to enrich the information contained in RoboEarth database.

|Dr. J. M. Martinez Montiel            | Profesor Titular             |
|D.Informatica e Ingenieria de Sistemas| Universidad de Zaragoza      |
|Maria de Luna 1. 50018 Zaragoza.Spain | josemari at unizar.es           |
|Tel:(34)976761975  Fax:(34)976761914  | webdiis.unizar.es/~josemari/ |