[robotics-worldwide] Job Posting: Postdoctoral Researcher, CSIR, South Africa
SUtete at csir.co.za
Tue Jul 13 08:07:10 PDT 2010
Job Posting: Postdoctoral Researcher at the CSIR in Pretoria, South Africa
The CSIR (Council for Scientific and Industrial Research) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation, implementing projects throughout Africa and making a difference in people's lives.
Postdoctoral Researcher, CSIR, Pretoria, South Africa
(One to two years)
About the job:
The CSIR Modelling and Digital Science unit has a temporary position for a Postdoctoral Researcher in the Mobile Intelligent Autonomous Systems (MIAS) Emerging Research Area (ERA). The unit has a strong focus on human capital development and the creation and dissemination of new scientific knowledge. It also collaborates with national and international partners in research and development (R&D) activities. The MIAS group undertakes innovative research in field robotics. The main MIAS research areas are perception (including computer vision), navigation, planning (including motion planning and mission planning) and machine learning. The successful candidate will be working on a Mine Safety Platform project - a vehicle for performing autonomous mine work area inspections. Research opportunities on the Mine Safety Platform project exist in the areas of exploration and motion planning, drivable region detection, navigation and mapping and sensor fusion. The position is based in Pretoria, South Africa.
* Conduct research on mobile robotics platforms and in one of the MIAS group's main research areas;
* Take a lead in group projects;
* Provide technical direction to junior researchers in the group;
* Implement solutions on group platforms; and
* Write publications arising from research work done in the group on research output.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
* A PhD in engineering (preferably electrical or electronic) or in computer science;
* Minimum of five years' experience in programming using at least one the following languages: C/C++, Matlab, Python and C#;
* Good interpersonal skills;
* Good communication and presentation skills;
* Good report-writing skills;
* A publication track record is required;
* A track record of successfully working with students and researchers is required; and
* Work experience in robotics or related fields would be advantageous.
Should you meet the above requirements, please go to the URL indicated below in order to apply, select the position reference number XXX, complete the application form and attach your CV. URL: http://www.csir.co.za/recruitment/recruitment_application_form.php
Closing date: 12 August 2010
Should you experience any problems in submitting your application, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre at Recruitmentqueries at csir.co.za. Please do not submit your application to this mailbox.
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
The CSIR gives preference to candidates who meet the job requirements and who will add to the cultural and gender diversity of the organisation. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant's educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right not to appoint.
This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.
The full disclaimer details can be found at http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner,
and is believed to be clean. MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for their support.
More information about the robotics-worldwide