[robotics-worldwide] Of flies and robots: neuroscience of minibrains symposium (Barcelona, 17-22 October 2010)

Matthieu Louis matthieu.louis at crg.es
Fri Mar 12 14:47:05 PST 2010

Dear colleagues,

If you share our interest in the organization of behavior, we would like to draw your attention to an upcoming conference on Drosophila systems neuroscience and robotics: ESF-EMBO Symposium on "Functional Neurobiology in Minibrains", 17-22 October 2010, Barcelona (Spain). You will find more information at http://www.esf.org/conferences/10324

The goal of this meeting is to review progress towards an integrated understanding of the genetic, molecular, and neuronal basis of behavior in Drosophila. We will examine how our knowledge about biological neural processes can influence (and can be influenced by) the design of robotic neural systems. This symposium is intended to foster exchanges between researchers from the insect, and in particular the Drosophila, community with experts in computational neurobiology & robotics. We should be grateful if you could circulate this announcement.

Hoping to see you in Barcelona this fall,

Richard Benton
Bertram Gerber
Matthieu Louis

---

Invited speakers will include:

Alexander Borst - NEURO-MPG, DE
Michael Dickinson - Caltech, US
Barry Dickson - Research Institute of Molecular Pathology, AT
Dario Floreano - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL), CH
Nicolas Franceschini - The Institute of Movement Sciences, FR
Steven Fry - Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), CH
Mark Frye - University of California, Los Angeles, US
Martin Goepfert - University of Cologne, DE
Bill Hansson - Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, DE
Martin Heisenberg - University of Wuerzburg, DE
Mikko Juusola - The University of Sheffield, UK
Holger Krapp - Imperial College London, UK
Gero Miesenböck - University of Oxford, UK
Gerry Rubin - HHMI-Janelia Farm Research Campus, US
Marla Sokolowski - University of Toronto Mississauga, CA
Roland Strauss - Johannes Gutenberg University, DE
Barbara Webb - University of Edinburgh, UK