[robotics-worldwide] Robotics research leader job opening - CSIRO Australia

Jonathan.Roberts at csiro.au Jonathan.Roberts at csiro.au
Tue May 4 02:48:55 PDT 2010

Robotics Science Leader
Outstanding Career Opportunity

CSIRO ICT Centre, Australia

The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) is Australia’s national science agency and one of the largest and most diverse research agencies in the world. By igniting the creative spirit of our people we deliver great science and innovative solutions for industry, society and the environment.

The Autonomous Systems Laboratory conducts research in the areas of field robotics, sensor networks and adaptive systems. We are developing new techniques for 3D perception and localisation, the autonomous control of machines, and the operation of large scale outdoor wireless sensor networks. Our key strength lies in combining these techniques to produce novel solutions to practical problems in fields such as environmental monitoring, agriculture, mining, manufacturing and for the energy industry. The laboratory has over 50 research scientists and engineers and is one of the largest laboratories of its kind in the world. The CSIRO is seeking a senior research leader who is interested in developing new robotics sciences and technologies for the real world and to power new and exciting applications.

Interest Areas
Our research capability is focused with robots operating on land, underwater, in the air and off-earth. We have particular interests in 3D mapping and localisation (SLAM), vision-based navigation, sensor processing, sensor fusion, control and autonomous operation. In particular, methods that help computers or machines to see or to derive information of observed scenes from single or multiple cameras.

The Position
The role of a Science Leader is to provide leadership in developing and nurturing professional skills in Robotics, as well as the pursuit of excellence in this field. The successful applicant will have an established international research record in robotics, have a record of innovation and generation of new ideas, and a demonstrated ability to mentor staff in a range of field robotics disciplines, as well as supervision of post doctoral fellows and PhD students.

Support for the Position
- Dedicated Post Doctoral Fellows (3yr term)
- A minimum of 2 PhD Student positions
- Funding for 3 international trips per year for attendance at key robotics conferences and/or meetings

Robotics Science Leader
- Ongoing tenure
- Attractive Market Competitive Salary Package
- International applicants welcome
- Generous relocation package

How to Apply and For More Information

Please email Dr Jonathan Roberts, Research Director Autonomous Systems Laboratory jonathan.roberts at csiro.au or make contact with a CSIRO representative at ICRA:
- Dr Alex Zelinsky,
- Dr Paulo Borges or
- Dr Matthew Dunbabin.

---
Jonathan Roberts (Research Director - Autonomous Systems Laboratory)
CSIRO ICT Centre, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Phone: +61 7 3327 4501 Website: http://research.ict.csiro.au/research/laboratories/autonomous-systems