[robotics-worldwide] Open position for PhD Student. Safe active semantic mapping and navigation at Universidad de Zaragoza

José María Martínez Montiel josemari at unizar.es
Mon Oct 18 16:10:47 PDT 2010

Open position for PhD Student. Safe active semantic visual mapping and
navigation at Universidad de Zaragoza.
Robotics, Perception and Real-Time Group at the I3A, Universidad de
Zaragoza (Spain) is looking for PhD student candidates with excellent
academic qualifications interest in pursuing a PhD in the context of
Roboearth European Project focused in the 3D sensing capabilities of
a mobile robot (http://www.roboearth.org/). The consortium is composed
of 6 partners from 4 European countries (Eindhoven University of Technology,
Philips Applied  Technologies, University of Stuttgart, ETH Zurich,
Universidad de Zaragoza, and Technische Universitat Munchen)

How to apply
==========
Deadline for application : November 18th, 2010

e-mail: jmm.montiel.phd.position.10 at gmail.com +34 976 761975

If interested, please send to  jmm.montiel.phd.position.10 at gmail.com
before November 18th, 2010
1- C.V.
2- Motivation letter (career plan, motivation for PhD, statement of
research interest)
3- Copy of original study certificates with list of subjects, grades,
and scale (indicate min, max, and pass threshold for your class) for
 Master degree, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Robotics,
Mechatronics, Mathematics, Physics or similar.
4- Copy of international publications, if available (max 3).
5- Two references, including its phone contact details

Requirements:
===========
Academic: Excellent academic grades.
    Computer Science, Electrical Engineering,
    Maths or Physics.
    Master degree in the related areas will be
        valuable but not imperative.

Background: Knowledge in robotics, computer vision image processing.
  Previous experience in navigation,
   mapping, SLAM techniques
  Programming skills in Matlab and C++ is valuable.

Nationality requirements: European Citizen,or European residence
   permission.
Contract Type:  Phd. Student Grant.
Position:  Phd. Student
Start Date: December 1, 2010
Duration in months:    48
Salary:  As determined by regulations of the Spanish PhD Student Grants
(around 1200_/month)
Town:    Zaragoza
Country: Spain
Place of Work:  Universidad de Zaragoza. Zaragoza, Spain.

SAFE ACTIVE SEMANTIC VISUAL MAPPING AND NAVIGATION
------------------------------------
Visual SLAM research has been focused in the ability to locate a camera
with respect
to an a priory unknown scene, under very general conditions and reducing
the assumptions
about the observed scene. The resulting map composed of geometric
entities such as points
and edgeles, normally has a reduced capability to represent the scene.

In the proposed research it is assumed that the robot has rich knowledge
about the scenes
being observed because the RoboEarth object database is available. The
goal is to build a map composed
of traditional meaningless geometrical entities plus the recognized
objects in the database,
resulting in a map where objects the robot has to interact with are
precisely located.

The robot has to exploit the map information to plan the motions and
safely navigate in order
to locate the objects needed for a given task

|Dr. J. M. Martinez Montiel            | Profesor Titular             |
|D.Informatica e Ingenieria de Sistemas| Universidad de Zaragoza      |
|Maria de Luna 1. 50018 Zaragoza.Spain | josemari at unizar.es           |
|Tel:(34)976761975  Fax:(34)976761914  | webdiis.unizar.es/~josemari/ |