[robotics-worldwide] PhD Position at Bio-Inspired Robotics Laboratory, ETH Zurich

Iida Fumiya fumiya.iida at mavt.ethz.ch
Mon Sep 6 05:09:07 PDT 2010

Open PhD Position

Bio-Inspired Robotics Laboratory
Institute of Robotics and Intelligent Systems
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich
(ETH Zurich) Switzerland

http://www.birl.ethz.ch/

A funded PhD position will be available from December 2010 at Bio-Inspired Robotics Laboratory, Institute of Robotics and Intelligent Systems, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETHZ), Switzerland.

The position will be supported by a newly starting research project funded by the Swiss National Competence Center in Research (NCCR) in Robotics, in which we investigate the problems of design and control optimization in underactuated robot locomotion.

(1) Requirements
Applicants should have diploma/master degrees in one of the following disciplines, but degrees from the other areas are also considered if relevant.
* Mechanical, Electronic, Control Engineering, Robotics
* Physics, Biology, Biomechanics
* Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence

(2) Conditions
* Main duty includes research activities, lab organization, and teaching assistant
* Starting December 2010 or at your earliest convenience
* The position will be fully funded based on the SNF/ETHZ regulations

(3) To Apply
Please send an email to Fumiya Iida (iidaf at ethz.ch) with your cv and a brief introduction of your research interests and plans. The selection process will be closed as soon as the position is filled.

Brief Description of the BIRL:
The research interests of the Bio-Inspired Robotics Lab lie at the intersection of robotics and biology. Through abstraction of the design principles of biological systems, we develop core competences which are the design and control of dynamic mechatronics systems, bionic sensor technologies, and computational optimization techniques. Our main goals are to contribute to a deeper understanding of adaptivity and autonomy of animals through the investigation of dynamic robots, and to engineer novel robotic applications which are more adaptive, resilient, and energy efficient. For more information, please visit our website:
http://www.birl.ethz.ch/

--
Fumiya Iida Dr. sc. nat.
SNF Professor