[robotics-worldwide] Open faculty positions at UMass Lowell at junior and senior levels

Holly Yanco holly at cs.uml.edu
Sat Sep 25 08:38:12 PDT 2010

We have open positions for several faculty members this year, at all levels,
and are open to all research areas.  Feel free to contact me with any
questions.

Holly Yanco

----------------------

*UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS LOWELL
Computer Science Department
Tenure-Track and Tenured Faculty Positions
*
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is a comprehensive university with a
national reputation in science, engineering and technology, committed to
educating students for lifelong success in a diverse world and conducting
research and outreach activities that sustain the economic, environmental
and social health of the region. In February 2009, a campus-wide strategic
planning initiative was launched to reposition UMass Lowell as a world-class
institution over the next decade. A major component of that initiative is to
ensure that diversity and inclusion are in every aspect of our strategic
plan. We seek a diverse talented candidate pool to be part of our mission
and achievements.

UMass Lowell is located about 25 miles northwest of Boston in the high-tech
corridor of Massachusetts. The Computer Science Department has 15 tenured
and tenure-track faculty, serving about 220 BS students, 110 MS students,
and 55 PhD students. It also offers bioinformatics options at all levels,
and a PhD in computational mathematics.  The department offers a robotics
minor in conjunction with the Mechanical Engineering Department and the
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department.

The Computer Science faculty received approximately $6M in the last two
years in external research funding from the NSF, DOD, DOH, and corporations.
The department has four NSF CAREER Award Recipients. See
http://www.cs.uml.edu for more information.

The Computer Science Department at the University of Massachusetts Lowell
invites applications for one or two Assistant Professor positions, and one
or two positions at the rank of Associate or Full Professor. Positions will
start in September 2011. Initial review of applications will begin
immediately. The application deadline is *December 1, 2010*. Women and
underrepresented minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.

*Assistant Professor. *Applicants must hold a PhD in computer science or a
closely related discipline, have two or more years of teaching and research
experience as assistant professors or postdoctoral researchers, have
participated in significant federal grant writing, and be committed to
developing and sustaining an externally funded research program. We are
especially seeking candidates with strong ongoing research who are PIs of
funded projects from major US funding agencies. These are tenure-track
positions.

*Associate or Full Professor. *Applicants must hold a PhD in computer
science or a closely related discipline, have substantial teaching and
research experience, have made significant contributions to their fields on
strong ongoing research projects, be current PIs of substantial grants from
major US funding agencies, and be committed to sustaining and strengthening
an externally funded research program.* *These are tenured or tenure-track
positions depending on qualifications.*

All ranks: *Outstanding candidates in any major computer science research
area will be considered. In addition to developing/expanding a research
program, the successful applicant will be encouraged to contribute to the
collaborative research of the existing departmental groups. The successful
candidate will be expected to teach undergraduate and graduate courses,
including department core and specialty areas based on the candidate’s
expertise, and must have prior effective teaching experience.

*How to apply*:
1. Submit a cover letter, a current CV, research statement, teaching
statement, and selected relevant research publications through our web site
at http://jobs.uml.edu under “Faculty Positions”. *You must apply using the
online system. Make sure to apply to the correct rank.*
2. Arrange for at least three letters of recommendation to be included in
your application.
3. Optional documents: If available, please include summaries of teaching
evaluations.

The University of Massachusetts Lowell is committed to increasing diversity
in its faculty, staff, and student populations, as well as curriculum and
support programs, while promoting an inclusive environment. We seek
candidates who can contribute to that goal and encourage you to apply and to
identify your strengths in this area.