[robotics-worldwide] CfP: RSS 2011 Workshop on The State of Imitation Learning

brenna d. argall brennadee.argall at epfl.ch
Mon Apr 18 22:35:46 PDT 2011

Call for Papers : RSS 2011 Workshop on The State of Imitation Learning:
Understanding its Applications and Promoting its Adoption

Overview : This full-day workshop will study the numerous subareas of
imitation learning in order to synthesize and summarize the lessons
learned and to draw connections between the array of tools available.
The structure will consist primarily of invited speakers who are leaders
within the field, as well as a poster session of committee reviewed
extended abstract submissions.

Location : 2011 Robotics: Science and Systems Conference, Los Angeles,
California, USA
Date     : Monday, June 27th, 2011

**Motivation**
Imitation learning has grown into a large field with applications across
robotics, neural computation, and artificial intelligence. As the field
has developed, ideas have sprouted from a wide range of motivations and
applications resulting differing terminology and significant overlap;
terms such as apprenticeship learning, learning from demonstration,
inverse optimal control, and inverse reinforcement learning mean the
same thing to some, while to others they have vastly different
connotations. Imitation learning is already creating a stir within the
robotics community as an effective and practical way to transfer our
intuition to real world robotics systems, and has the potential to
revolutionize the way we approach system development. In this workshop,
we will examine the collection of subfields within imitation learning
together and attempt to construct a formal taxonomy of the tools and
techniques available to solidify its foundation and promote wider
adoption with the robotics community.

Our intended audience includes researchers with an interest in robotics,
machine learning, autonomous systems, and other related topics.

**Submission and Registration**
We welcome submissions of 2-3 page extended abstracts for participation
in the poster session. Submissions that highlight recent work and
results in applying imitation learning to real robotics problems are
encouraged in particular. Top submissions may be invited to give a short
oral presentation during the workshop. For submission and registration
information, please visit the workshop website:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dsilver/ImitationLearningWorkshop/

**Organizers**
Brenna Argall, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL), Lausanne,
Switzerland
Nathan Ratliff, Google, Pittsburgh, PA
David Silver, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA

**Important Dates**
Submission deadline     :  May 3rd, 2011
Acceptance notification :  May 17th, 2011
Workshop                :  June 27th, 2011