[robotics-worldwide] Postdoctoral researcher positions in the Harvard Microrobotics Lab

Rob Wood rjwood at eecs.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 25 07:30:21 PDT 2011

The Harvard Microrobotics Lab is seeking multiple postdoctoral researchers in the following areas:

1. Control for sub-100mg flying robots

We have flapping-wing robotic insect platforms (sub-100mg, 1-3cm wingspan, operating at 100-200Hz wingbeat frequencies) which have demonstrated controllable thrust and body torques as well as some initial closed-loop trajectory-following demonstrations. We seek applicants trained in applied control theory who have extensive experience with the physical construction and implementation of control hardware on dynamic systems. The goal is a demonstration of controlled, unconstrained flight for a sub-100mg robot. Pure control theorists are not appropriate for this position. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field.

2. Development of soft-bodied robots

Topics include novel soft actuators, multi-material fabrication methods, and integration of power and control within an autonomous robot with characteristic modulus on the order of 1MPa. We seek applicants with a strong track-record in innovative fabrication techniques and extensive mechanical design experience. The goal is a demonstration of locomotion of a soft robot and manipulation of simple objects. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or a related field.

3. Micro-scale design and fabrication

We are evolving our fabrication methods for micro- and meso-scale devices and robots and are looking for candidates with experience in microfabrication (MEMS and other novel derivatives) and micro-scale design. Goals include expanded functionality by incorporating discrete integrated circuits (for sensing, power, control, etc) into otherwise monolithically-fabricated centimeter-scale devices, development of design rules and CAD tools for meso-scale mechanisms, and generally expand the space of devices generated using our techniques. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related field.

Applicants should send a cover letter briefly describing their background and career plans, a CV, and the names and contact information for at least three references. The positions are open immediately (6/1/11) and guaranteed for a year with a possible second year extension. These documents should be submitted as pdf attachments to Prof. Wood (be sure to indicate which position you are applying to): rjwood at seas.harvard.edu

Harvard University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and applications from women and underrepresented minorities are strongly encouraged.

For more details, see: http://micro.seas.harvard.edu/opportunities.html

------------------------------
Robert Wood
Associate Professor