[robotics-worldwide] Call for Contributions - RSS 2011 Workshop on Reinforcement Learning and Optimal Control

Freek Stulp stulp at clmc.usc.edu
Tue Apr 26 13:10:26 PDT 2011

CALL FOR EXTENDED ABSTRACTS

Workshop: A Comparison of Reinforcement Learning and Optimal Control Methods
for Real-World Robotic Tasks

Conference: Robotics: Science and Systems Conference 2011
Date: Friday, July 1, 2011
Location: University of Southern California, Los Angeles
Website: http://www-clmc.usc.edu/RSS2011Workshop

DESCRIPTION

The goal of this workshop is to analyze and discuss the applicability of
state-of-the-art methods from reinforcement learning and optimal control to
real-world robotic tasks. Do the methods scale to high-dimensional tasks? Are
they robust when faced with uncertainty? Do their solutions generalize well
across tasks? This workshop will be an excellent platform to discuss where we
are now, and which research challenges lie ahead.

INVITED SPEAKERS

Pieter Abbeel - University of California at Berkeley
Chris Atkeson* - Carnegie Mellon University
David Hsu - National University of Singapore
James Kuffner - Carnegie Mellon University
Jan Peters* - Max-Planck Institute of Biological Cybernetics
Stefan Schaal - University of Southern California
Jürgen Schmidhuber* - Istituto Dalle Molle di Studi sull'Intelligenza
Artificiale
Russ Tedrake - Massachusetts Institute of Technology

(* = unconfirmed)

CALL FOR EXTENDED ABSTRACTS

We invite you to submit an extended abstract (2-3 pages) to be considered for
poster presentation. Especially outstanding work may be considered for oral
presentation. Submissions should focus on applying reinforcement learning and
optimal control to robotic systems, and describe the experiences made in
implementing the theory in practice. The questions in the description above
can be used as guidelines for discussion; we also encourage the formulation of
additional evaluation questions. Please send submissions (in PDF format) to
stulp<at>clmc.usc.edu

IMPORTANT DATES

Deadline to submit extended abstracts: Friday, May 13, 2011
Notification of acceptance: Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Workshop: Friday, July 1, 2011

ORGANIZERS

Freek Stulp, Evangelos Theodorou, Stefan Schaal
University of Southern California