[robotics-worldwide] PostDoc position available at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology

Rainer Stiefelhagen rainer.stiefelhagen at kit.edu
Fri Aug 12 05:13:11 PDT 2011

The Computer Vision for Human Computer Interaction Lab
(http://cvhci.anthropomatik.kit.edu/) at Karlsruhe Institute of
Technology (KIT) is seeking for a highly qualified postdoctoral
researcher who has experience in one or more of the following areas:
computer vision, person tracking, person identification, action or event
classification, perceptual user interfaces, human robot interaction.

What we expect:

We seek for an outstanding researcher with a solid background in machine
learning and computer vision. Previous expertise in one or more of the
following research topics is necessary: person tracking, person
identification, event classification and human robot interaction. A
strong academic record and high motivation for creative research is
required.

The candidates will be responsible to conduct independent research,
manage a group of PhD students and at the same time contribute to
ongoing projects. National and international candidates are encouraged
to apply. Knowledge of German language is not required. Excellent oral
and written English skills are expected.

How to apply:

Qualified applicants holding a PhD degree should provide the following
documents:

- Cover letter briefly describing his/her background and career plans
- CV
- Link to his/her research website
- Date of availability
- Names and contact information for at least two reference letters

All documents should be submitted via email as a single pdf file to
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Rainer Stiefelhagen (rainer.stiefelhagen at kit.edu) with
the email subject line: Postdoc Candidate

Review of the applications will start immediately and will continue
until the position is filled. The employment will initially be awarded
for a period of one year with an option of extending it.

KIT is pursuing a gender equality policy. Women are therefore
particularly encouraged to apply. If qualified, handicapped applicants
will be preferred.

Salary:

The position is a full-time position paid according to the German TVL
E-13 or E-14 payment scheme. Depending on the experience of the
candidate, this results in a gross income of approximately 3.600 - 4.300
Euros per month.

About the Computer Vision for Human Computer Interaction Lab:

Our research focuses on the development of novel techniques for the
visual and audio-visual perception of humans and their activities in
order to facilitate perceptive multimodal interfaces, humanoid robots
and smart environments. Our work thus includes research on person
tracking, person identification, recognition of pointing gestures,
estimation of head orientation and focus of attention as well as
audio-visual scene and activity analysis. Currently we address
applications such as human-friendly humanoid robots, smart environments,
security and surveillance-related scenarios, multimedia analysis as well
as assistive systems for handicapped persons.

We are a member of the German Collaborative Research Center 588 on
'Humanoid Robots'. In this project we contribute key components for the
visual perception of people and their activities to the Karlsruhe
humanoid robot. We are also member of the Franco-German research project
Quaero where we contribute to video-based and multimodal multimedia
analysis, in particular the detection and recognition of people, events
and genres in images and video. Other projects include re-identification
of people for security-related applications as well as vision-based
patient monitoring.

About the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT):

Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) is the result of the merger of
the University of Karlsruhe and the Research Center, Karlsruhe. It is a
unique institution in Germany which combines the mission of a university
with that of a large-scale research center of the Helmholtz Association.
With 8,000 employees and an annual budget of EUR 650 million, KIT is one
of the largest research and education institutions worldwide.

Relevant Links:

- CVHCI Lab: http://cvhci.anthropomatik.kit.edu/
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology: http://www.kit.edu/
- Karlsruhe, Germany: http://karlsruhe.de/